SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Scrimps and splurges

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As we put together our plans -- is anyone out there more slow than me and my husband? I doubt it -- I find myself thinking of choices in terms of scrimps and splurges. Do you think I'm off track anywhere?

Splurge: Exterior will be brick. I've never not lived in a brick house, and I can't imagine not having brick. Furthermore, I want an upgraded brick because it makes a difference in the overall look.

Splurge: We want the house to be solidly built and as maintenance -free as possible. We're planning a metal roof, thinking it'll be expensive up front but will save money in the long run.

Scrimp: Square footage. We're building a modest sized house, which seems to be unusual these days.

Scrimp: We're going with engineered flooring instead of hardware. My theory is that once furniture and throw rugs are placed, the floors are more of a background item anyway.

Splurge: Windows. I think quality windows look so much better, and they'll help with energy efficiency. I'm using 72" tall windows throughout (used to have them in a previous house and loved them), and I'm adding a second bay window in the dining room.

Scrimp: Standard 8' ceilings (except the cathedral in the great room). I know, people consider 9' to be the standard these days, but I'm not unhappy with the 8' ceilings I have now, and 8' will cost less in terms of materials (especially kitchen cabinets) today and less in terms of heating /cooling forever. I don't think this is something people consciously notice anyway.

Scrimp: Discontinued chandelier purchased from ebay for the dining room. Love the look. Hope to find other such discounts for lighting.

Splurge: Nice built-ins in the great room. I shudder at the cost, but this is the room where we'll spend the most time.

Scrimp: Ikea bookshelves "hacked" to look like built-ins in what we're calling the "back hall" -- it's a combination mudroom and small office, and it's really a private room for me and my husband.

Splurge: A real staircase to the attic. I hate going up and down our pull-down stairs now.

Scrimp: Small kitchen with huge pantry for storage. This'll save so much on cabinetry and countertops, and a one-butt kitchen is what I want anyway.

Splurge: Am I really going to spend more than 1K on a Kohler Stages 45? Yes, yes, I am.

Splurge: Since cabinets are such a big deal to change, I want top quality. I hope never to replace them.

Scrimp: Though white is "the thing", I'm going with light colored stained cabinets. They cost considerably less and will look good longer -- and in future years, if they're looking shabby, they can be painted.

Scrimp: The appliances will all be quality, but standard sizes -- no oversized or upscale anything. I'm perfectly happy with standard mid-range appliances now, and I don't feel any need to upgrade.

Scrimp: I have a simple backsplash tile in mind ... but I'm going to order a single custom-made Celtic-themed tile as an accent above the stovetop and a couple 2" accents spaced across the rest of the wall. It'll look great with the Celtic-themed kitchen hardware I already have.

Scrimp: Nothing special in the bedrooms. We just sleep in there.

Scrimp: Our bathrooms'll be large enough for comfort (and built with an eye towards aging) but they won't resemble a marble Roman bath. The bathrooms will be all-tile, but the tiles will all be simple /modest in price; for example, 4" squares and penny rounds.

Scrimp: In order to place the washer/dryer near the bedrooms, we're putting them in a closet. Definitely a compromise, but the space is JUST a laundry -- it's not a multi-functional area. We will have space enough for "waiting loads" and storage, and we'll have to fold clothes on the nearby beds.

So, am I lying to myself anywhere? Go ahead and tell me -- I can take it.

Comments (99)