SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

New Bathroom: Options for Excellent Ventilation?

Corinne Masterson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So we are dormering our little cape this fall & adding in an additional bathroom/bedroom. I’m super stoked about finally being able to built a [small] bathroom from scratch.

One of my requests is a good sized floor to ceiling glass shower as opposed to a dinky little tub with little standing room that never gets used.

I am hoping this alone helps keep steam in the rest of the bathroom to a minimum, but to be on the safe side I want to brainstorm some ideas for installing “above average” ventilation during the build.

I say “above average” because I can already foresee our contractor trying to convince me that a regular vent should be fine. In my experience with regular bathroom vents I never feel that the steamy moldy mess I get every morning is anywhere near “fine”.

If you don’t see where I’m coming from on this one, you probably haven‘t been cursed with a mop of thick curly hair like I have. Imagine having to shampoo and condition a California King duvet in your shower every two or three days with extra hot water.

*What are my options for ductwork or fans that really knock out humidity?

*Do I just need more than one fan outlet?

*Do I need some sort of NASA grade motor attached to my outlet?

*Do I put a fan in the actual shower? Are most floor to ceiling glass showers actually sealed?

*Does anybody else think about this kind of stuff when they build a bathroom?

Comments (24)