SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samg23

Carrier Options - New Construction

samg23
10 years ago

First, I can't thank all the posters in this and other forums enough for the wealth of information I've gleaned as we build our first home. For most of our decisions, I've reached a conclusion from the expertise accumulated on this site. However, we're at he point where the builder is waiting on our HVAC selections and I'm stuck and could really use help.

We're building a home just outside Atlanta. It's a big home and we're going to need several units. We're using traditional R-19 insulation in the 2X6 exterior walls but we're using open cell foam on all the roof rafters. I would love a whole discussion about sizing but we're waiting for the Manual J calcs to come in to confirm (or change) the HVAC company's "hunch". In the meantime, I'd appreciate some help in the actual Carrier product selection regardless of how sizing settles out.

The HVAC company proposed matching the Carrier 59TP5 furnace with a CA16NA A/C. I can't even find much about the CA16 but see it's essentially a builder grade product and I'm worried they used this combination to keep the costs from having us walk (we'll likely need at least 4 units).

Being in Atlanta, we do have some sense of a winter but I'm especially worried about the humid summers which made me think I'd be foolish not to get a variable speed furnace. I don't truly understand the cost/benefit on the multi speed compressor though. I also can't find very good info on the Carrier site really explaining the differences between the Comfort/Performance/Infinity models. I see noise differences and that's a concern on two units which will be located near our outdoor living area.

Any advice on how to pick the right Carrier combination for our area would be appreciated. Or if it's not so simple, any link to a source to become educated would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (16)