SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclute

Help me design my 3-seasons room

aclute
7 years ago

I posted this on the porches forum, but the suggestion was to post it here because more people looking at it, as well great architecture minds here.

My wife and I are investigating having a 3-seasons room put off the back of the house where our breakfast area is. We will use this as a quiet room for reading and TV, as well as giving a better outdoor space (as our south facing house gets too much sun). We might had a covered porch off it as well.

I have had a couple of quotes and gotten one that I really like, but there is a small "gotcha" in the plan, and here is where I need some advice.

The options are:

1) Yes, leave the bottom window, and make the top window smaller

2) Get rid of both windows, or

3) Something else.

First off, here is the back of the house. The large 2-story area is the great room, and the 3-panel door is from our breakfast area.

And a closer up view of the back door, where the room will come out. Also notice the two windows on the 8' bump out of the great room. These are the windows in question.

The 3-seasons room will cover the whole width of this area and will come out from the back door 18' (8' to match the great room bump out, and then another 10' past that).

It will have a gable roof that will match the great room.

The problem is the way they have to build the roof, they have to make another flatter roof between the gable and the house, and that slant will cut through that 2nd story window.

It either needs to be made shorter (the top says the same, but the bottom of it brought up 3 feet), or taken out completely.

Another view of the windows in question:

Here is what the inside of the house looks like in that area:

And, finally, the drawing from the quote:

The original suggestion was to just shorten the top window, and leave the bottom window in place (but it would then be looking into the 3-seasons room).

The problem with that is the way the new gable roof will be built, that smaller top window will be looking at the roof (also any issues with reconfiguring the roof this way?).

Plus it won't be symmetrical in the great room (3 sections have 2 windows, and the 1 section will have 1.5)

The other option I am exploring is to have both windows removed completely. That will allow for an 8' contiguous wall section in the 3-seasons room to hang a tv, and would not have the odd window up top.

But it will really kill the symmetry in that great room (3 sections have windows, 1 section has none).

The insides of the 3-season room will all be drywall, so all of the stucco that is outside wall that becomes inside wall will be pulled down. So removing the bottom window is not a big deal at all.

Anyone have a suggestion how they would do it?

Comments (5)