SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Rethinking my FILTRATION

Debbie Downer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Right now I have only a Biosteps 10 + a 1600 GPH pump. Also had a second pump + a small cheap tetra skimmer JUST TO SEE IF IT WOULD WORK, and also to try to find the best position for it before investing in a better quality one.

QUESTIONS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
* If I have say a 2400 gph pump in the skimmer, and then split the outflow 3 ways, would I assume each would be about 800 gph? This is hypothetically speaking of course - I realize there would be many variables eg length of hose, connectors, head heights, etc. so it wouldnt be EXACTLY the same - but should be roughly in same ball park, correct?

* If I was to have one of my outflow tubes going down to the bottom of the pond, would this effectively push up all the fish poop and debris up again so it can get caught by skimmer filter? Would it be enough to get air down there or must I have an air pump. Pond is 3 ft at its deepest & 7 feet wide.

* Or I may want to have one of those Aquascape/aquaforce (solids handling) as a second pump on the bottom - has anyone used one? Do they work as advertised, capable of sucking up fish poop and fine debris from pine tree and keeping bottom relatively clean?

* Ive come to realize that my biggest problem is my piggy fish that devour all the algae + food and then poop all over with some of it going through the pump and getting pureed (yuck). I was wondering what all the green debris was and thinking it was pea soup algae but now I know at least some of it is fish waste. To correct this Ive gotten a 50 micron filter + 100 micron filter and put them in the biosteps .... and it works beautifully at filtering out the superfine particles ... except if I leave it too long it starts backing up and spilling out the back of the biosteps - as I discovered one a.m. when I came out and found my pond nearly empty.

HOW CAN I USE THIS TYPE OF FILTER WITHOUT having to rinse every freakin 4 hrs? Is it a matter of just having more of them and more filtration in general?

* If I vastly increase my biofiltration - say add a skippy filter thats 10% of my pond size - would that seriously handle the very fine debris that Im having a problem with? Or am I pretty much needing to rely on the 50 micron filter in order to get rid of that superfine debris?

btw I have 8 goldfish in 700 gallons - not overstocked. They are just ravenous little buggers.

Comments (3)