SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

Losing my mom has made me rethink hanging onto papers

marie26
18 years ago

I lost my mom last week. She got sick on her birthday a couple of weeks earlier and never recovered. She was 88 and did not have a living will (I think there was another post a while back about this) so my brother, 2 sisters and I had to make a decision. We are comfortable with letting her go because for days she was only breathing and was basically gone anyways. We also felt that she would have wanted this.

She had moved to a senior home a year ago and was able to go through her stuff (memories) at that time so it wasn't too difficult for us to go through her things after the funeral.

I have several bins of papers, vacation memorabilia, etc. that I have not gone through since the day they were closed. I'd hate for my kids to HAVE TO go through this stuff after I'm gone (hopefully not for a long, long time). So, when I get back home I will need to take care of this problem once and for all.

There are papers on decorating, cooking information, political articles I've saved, newspapers that I felt were keepers for my grandchildren, notes I've written to myself when angry or sad, etc, etc, etc.

I could do scrapbooking with my vacation momentos but I'm not into that and don't see myself enjoying it. Besides, I wouldn't want to cut the brochures that I might decide to keep.

I suppose, for the time being, I should just file all the papers I want to keep in files. But that will just prolong my having to weed out as much as possible.

I really want to finally get rid of most of it, especially since I will be moving again in 2 years or so.

What should I keep and how should it be organized? If I don't do this now, I never will.

I'm sorry if this is long and rambling but it's the first time I've written down anything about my dear mother.

Comments (9)