SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
classicalone

Selling my mom's house - has wood panelling, non-working shower

classicalone
13 years ago

Sometime within the year I'm going to have to put my mom's home up for sale. It's in a rural area that has decreased in population over the last decade, has higher than average un-employment.

Her house is a 1971 1100 sq.ft. ranch, plus carport, with 3 bedrooms and 1 very tiny full bath, with tub/shower combo and 1 even smaller bath off the MBR with a shower. The shower hasn't worked in years, has many tiles that fell off, water's not currently hooked up, but plumbing is close by. The main bath has tiles that fell off behind the toilet and sink; that area has a large square of wall paper over it now.

Except for the picture window in the LR, it has small windows. Every room except for the baths has wood panelling, and all the trim and doors are stained wood. Even with lots of lights on the house always seems dark to me, and every inside photo ever taken there has such a dark background, even if the flash brightened up the people in the photos.

The floors are wood - but I'm not even sure if they're hard-wood - they've always seemed so soft to me - easily scratching and denting. They look pretty bad now, but I think they'd look pretty good if they were refinished.

The house is on a reasonably nice acre lot, and looks pretty nice from the outside - fresh white paint, with freshly painted black shutters. It has a good roof and gutters and has some nice trees and shrubs.

I'm trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't do to get the house ready to sell. I think I should re-do the MBR shower and re-tile the main bath; I know how so all it would cost is the time and materials, and I would use in-expensive materials which is in keeping for the house and the area. I also think I should refinish the flors - again something I could do myself. I also need to replace the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and baths. My sister thinks we should sell it "as-is", but I don't agree. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about refinishing the wood floors, replacing the vinyl flooring, and fixing the baths, versus not doing it?

The other area I need help on is any advice on how to help the house not look so dark inside. Would putting up a lot of large, bright pictures on the walls help? Maybe hanging some light curtains on rods that are wider than the windows so the curtains don't cover up any of the small windows?

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone has.

Comments (15)