SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

Aging in place - what kind of bathtub?

MizLizzie
7 years ago

The dh and I are newly retired and getting ready to reno our master bath (with separate tub and shower) in the hope of remaining in our home long term. We both use our bathtub daily, so it is not for show. Current tub is an old Americast contractor grade oval-in-a-square 60" drop-in. For the new bathroom, we have the space to squeeze in an MTI Adena II which gives us 63" and has a great slant and legroom.

But this is a very deep tub -- once undermounted, it will be at least 20.5" to step into. It will be in an alcove, and we have room for a grab bar across the narrow end. When we get old and stiff (a day which looms ever nearer) I hope we can sit on the edge and swivel our legs around. But will we be able to get out? Could we turn and get hold of the grab bar behind if need be?

I wonder if we need to give up the Adena and its extra 3" and go with something more like what we have. I see Jacuzzi offers what they call "low profile" tubs in a rectangular shape which would make using the grab bar a little easier, maybe? Anybody got one? Can anyone recommend other options? I am already looking at serious back surgery in the next year or so, and it won't get any better with age. I hate making compromises on my long, deep soaker, but . . . . ?? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!