SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymt_gw

Freestanding Tubs, Clawfoot Tubs

marymt
14 years ago

Okay, I KNOW there has been at least one discussion of freestanding tubs, because I remember discovering Victoria and Albert on this forum. But I can't find any threads in my search. (Maybe the thread was titled something like "Help, need to make a decision" without the words "freestanding" and "tub"?)

Anyway, I have always thought I would not want a freestanding tub because (a) no place to put your book, and (b) how do you get in and out if you've had foot surgery (the one time our stupid shallow tub actually came in handy!!; and the other foot is due for the same treatment next year)

But now I am considering it for various reasons (see my thread on doing the bathroom in stages). For those of you who have them -- do you use them? Do you find the whole lack of a deck bothersome? I have seen those trays you can put across from side to side, so I guess that's an option.

It's the kind of thing we only use occasionally, but when you do want a nice hot soak, a deep tub is so welcome.

I don't want cast iron because of the weight -- we'd probably have to reinforce the floor. And I like what I read about Victoria & Albert tubs and the material they're made of (though I don't know a showroom that has them). There seem to be some on ebay that are the exact same photo, but I don't know if they are knock-offs or "fell off the truck". Not sure I feel comfortable with that.....

So, freestanding tubs -- all input welcome! let the thread begin ;-)

Comments (5)