SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Milestone birthday menu planning

elba1
7 years ago

HI folks, I will be turning the big 50 early this fall, and am thinking about hosting a birthday open house (4-8pm?) for my female friends and relatives (to keep the size manageable and closer to approx. 50 people instead of 100 - could never fit that many in my house). Even 50 would be a lot, but open house style, arrivals/departures would likely be somewhat more staggered. Anyway, I'm a big planner, so have already started thinking about the menu. At first was thinking appetizers & desserts (most guests will be local, and everyone loves appetizers and desserts :)), but then was thinking I have at least a couple older relatives coming about an hour's drive who would be looking for something "more substantial." I've gone in many directions in my head, keeping in mind:
- I try to eat healthy and generally avoid processed foods. I don't do well with pasta and pizza; try to eat lots of salad & veggies, not adverse to meat.

- Don't want to cater it - mainly because of both the expense, and high sodium in catered foods

- Will have one or two with each of the common dietary presentations - a vegetarian, one who avoids beef, some who minimize dairy or gluten, etc. Everything doesn't have to accommodate everyone, but want selections for all to eat.

- I've done pulled pork for various family functions, so would like to do something else.
My latest thought to give the food a "theme" or direction was to make two crock pots of chili - one beef and one vegetarian - could stay at a safe temp during the party, and have a "salad bar" so folks could put the chili on their salad, or top it however they want in a bowl & eat it with cornbread. Items like scallions, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, tortilla chips. Beverages such as margaritas, wine, beer, Arnold Palmer. Big cake, or brownie sundaes, fruit, cinnamon cookies for dessert. Munchies such as cheese & crackers, veggie platter, a couple dips like clam bake dip, spinach artichoke.
Just wondering: if you were going to a 50th birthday party in the early fall, what food would you like to see? Is chili kind of "eh" and would good appetizers be better? I will be doing the food myself and working full time. I can freeze some stuff ahead, but I want to enjoy the party and not have it be too complicated. My husband will be there, and possibly my son from college, to help during the party. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated, thanks!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES