SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuelrod

Question about tomatoes splitting while very young

fuelrod
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,
My family and I are doing some raised bed gardening for the first time. We're located in Mass. We've built a 4ft x 8ft x 20" high bed, filled it with a loam/compost mix from our local farm, and are using Square Foot Gardening techniques.

I have a Paul Robeson tomato plant that we transplanted on June 1, which was about 24" tall at the time. It may have had a few buds when we transplanted it, but no flowers.
The young tomatoes are between 1" and 2" in diameter, and several have cracked severely on the underside of the fruit.
I've done a bit of reading, and have learned that highly varying watering conditions can cause this, but the articles I've read typically show this issue when the fruit are much more mature and closer to ripe.

My questions are:

1. Is this likely a watering issue in my case as well?

2. Should I prune off the cracked tomatoes? Or will they recover?

The garden gets 8 hours of direct sun per day.
It gets 20 minutes of soaker irrigation per day (4 soaker lines, evenly spaced, running along the 8 ft length)
Temperatures have generally been warm- mid 70's to low 80's day, mid 50's to low 60's night.
We had a couple of cold nights a couple weeks ago with temps dipping into the 40's
We did have some heavy rains that likely over-watered the garden on a couple of occasions.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thanks!

Bob

Comments (7)