SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexilani

Question about the roasted tomato garlic soup

lexilani
17 years ago

I've been going over some of the tomato recipes I got from the board last summer. Like the tomato sauce, pizza sauce and soups. Most of those are in the BWB for up to 30 mins. The recipes seem to have the same type of ingredients as the roasted tomato and garlic soup.

Is there a reason that the Roasted and Tomato garlic soup (by Katie)has to be processed in a pressure canner for an hour rather than in a BWB for say 1/2 hour?

I've been trying to understand why some recipes are done one way and others that are simular are done a different way.

I guess it would be easier if I re-posted them to get a better look to compare.

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

Recipe By :Katie

12 tomatoes -- *see Note

2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces

1 large onion -- quartered

2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)

olive oil

2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)

cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered

cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with

olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies

are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large

saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and

simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick

blender (or in small batches in a blender) until

almost smooth. Add cream to taste. To can: Process

in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for

70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure

at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000

ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners

use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use

whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes

1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

And I think I got this from Carol last year but I could have wrote the name down wrong while saving, (so Carol don't be upset if you didn't post this ok?):

Seasoned Tomato Sauce

12 cups chopped ripe tomatoes (about 6 lbs.)

1 cup chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 bay leaves

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, sugar, pepper and bay leaves in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until very thick, about 1 1/4 hours. Stir frequently. Press through a food mill or coarse sive to remove seeds and skins. Add lemon juice and salt.

2. Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 35 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath for half-pint or pint jars.

Note: This recipe can be multiplied, but you may want to divide into separate pans to avoid increasing the time needed to reduce the sauce.

Makes about 4 cups.

For "Herbed Pizza Sauce" combine 1 cup of the canned sauce with 1/2 teaspoon each of dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley and 1 clove crushed garlic.

The following recipe is from "So Easy to Preserve."

Tomato Paste

8 quarts peeled, cored chopped tomatoes

1 1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers

2 bay leaves

1 teaspoon salt

1 clove garlic (optional)

Combine first four ingredients and cook slowly 1 hour. Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic clove, if desired. Continue cooking slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove garlic clove and bay leaves. Pour boiling hot paste into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process in a Boiling Water Bath:

Half-pints 45 minutes. Yields about 9 half-pint jars.

The biggest difference I can see is that the soup's veggies are roasted first. Would that or the carrots make such a difference that the product couldn't go into a BWB?

Any why the longer processing time? I know that you proccess for longer periods when adding certain foods but other than 2 carrots that turn into liquid in my food processor the recipes basically have the same stuff.

I'm just trying to understand this better because I'd like to start trying a few things here and there and don't want to make a mistake that could make us sick.

Comments (9)