SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

Questions about figs splitting.

noss
14 years ago

Hello again,

I've been trying to read all the posts and started at the end of all the pages and going backwards. I am now confused about what makes figs split and sour.

All these years I thought that it was the rain hitting the figs themselves that made them split, but some of the posts sounded like it was from the rain that was being taken in by the plant roots being too much, which diluted the taste and made them split and sour.

Which is it, or is it both?

I thought it had to do with how open the eye of the fig was, that let the rain into it, with the tighter/closed eyes being best for wet/humid climate. I've read that it has to do with how well the fig droops because that helps it shed water off the bottom end, but the Celeste droops very well and will still sour in a lot of rain.

Here, I was going to try and rig up umbrellas for my BT, TXE and the O'Rourke/Improved Celeste with the more open eyes, to keep water out of the figs and now it sounds like it's the water the plant itself takes up that makes them split.

Someone else was suggesting a plastic shield for over the pot, at the base of the tree, to shed excess water, like a Christmas tree skirt, which sounds clever to me. Someone else was asking about putting a skirt around the base of the in-ground trees to keep too much water from right around the tree.

I suppose I could just do both if that would help. LOL!

Help! Here in Louisiana, it rains a LOT and is humid most of the time and very hot. Even the Celeste figs will split and sour if it rains a lot when they're ripening.

Thanks,

noss

Comments (18)