SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rashmi_kitchen

Please help me design a better kitchen.

rashmi
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We bought this house from the builder about 8 years ago, so the kitchen is not really that old. On the first look, the kitchen does not seem bad (though its small by GardenWeb standards) . But the floor plan does not work at all. I feel stuck inside the small U , there is wasted space in the two lower corner cabinets , no food storage and very thin cabinets on the sides of the stove , making them useless.

Now we are looking into updating the kitchen , and I'm trying to make a preliminary layout (which we plan to take around while shopping). I

Our base needs are:

a. More storage /more drawers. Current two corners are a waste.

b. More usable counter space.

b. A 2-person kitchen.

c. Food storage - a tall pantry cabinet ??

d. Lazy Susan in one corner.

I plan to change the U shaped design to an L , and add floor to ceiling pantry cabinets on the long side of the L. I was hoping to add a small island parallel to the longer side of the L. But no matter how I try to arrange the stove-sink combinations , I'm not able to find a design which seems to work.

Here is the current kitchen :

On the lower end , there is a half wall, which we plan to remove . The column cannot be removed.

Here is my proposed change (cannot do much with the planner ). This plan opens up the layout a bit , but I'm not sure it adds more storage and/or counter top. I could really use some help here. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)