SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jr_r52

Convince me that we can do better design with our kitchen

JR R
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are in the process of updating our ugly kitchen in our 60's era house (2350 sf) and have been hoping that we could do a better layout. We have parameters of course, one of which is that we don't have the funds to knock down any walls.

The main issue, I think, is that the wife and I don't always agree (surprise) and we always seem to find a reason to NOT make a certain change. Perhaps, maybe, we already have the best design for the space given the parameter?

Anyway, you can see the excel drawn dimensions below. They are not to scale and as I look at it, making the jpeg seemed to really squeeze the breakfast nook for some reason? Anyway, here are some important details.

-Window 1 is 32" from the floor. We're open to raising it, but moving cabinets there would very likely eliminate a table (which we have there).

-Unless you really played a game of geometry with the cabs, an island won't fit in the space. We've done the math and it doesn't work.

-36" cooktop currently on a peninsula; can't be moved but no, we're not downsizing the to 30" as it is the most used appliance in the kitchen; used every day with multiple things going at once

-The RO tank is 14 gallons and I am coming to grips that it may need to go as a sink with blind corner very unusual. Could go tankless but I would lose the current line I have to the fridge (through attic).

-All three entry ways are 30"; wall dimensions shown exclude the door casing where applicable.

-Doorway on the right leads to a formal dining room which is open to the living room

-Doorway on the left leads to laundry room, powder room, and back door

-Doorway at bottom leads to family room (has TV). Family room also has an original wood ceiling higher than rest of ceiling.

Comments (12)