SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jocrochet

Prelim kitchen plans - help with concerns please?

jocrochet
7 years ago

Hi all,

This is the preliminary plans for a new construction. I've read the "New to Kitchens" thread and I have a few questions/concerns.

Background: We are a family of 5...2 adults and 3 children (ages 5-8). No plans to make our family any bigger. We are a family of want-to-be chefs :) so we are in the kitchen a good bit. We homeschool and the dining room table and island will be used as work areas.

The kitchen faces the dining area which then flows into the living room to the right.

Questions/Concerns:

Will I regret not having a trash drawer near the prep sink? Should I move it?

I can not see a convenient place to store dishes. Ideally I'd like to store the plates in the island but is there room for that with the prep sink and MW drawer?

Should I consider an alternative location for the MW drawer?

I'm concerned about the distance between the island and refrigerator (about 3 ft). Ideally I'd like a seat on that side of the island but I don't think there's enough room...any thoughts?

Is the placement of the prep sink in the island ideal?

We will not be having a freezer in the pantry as I feel it takes up too much storage space. I'm not sold on the idea of a corner pantry but I see no way around it.

Is a breakfast pantry common these days? Is it functional for this space or can that area be used differently?

My husband is set on the double ovens so those have to stay. The coffee station is another favorite of his. I would like to keep the sink in front of a window but if it sacrifices functionality I may have to change my expectations.

If you see any other concerns please do tell.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022