SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keppie_gw

concern about uneven kitchen subfloor - please help

keppie
13 years ago

This is a duplicate of a post I put on the Floors forum. Based on what I am seeing on this forum, I think I will get more responses faster�.which is what I need�and that is some help quickly.

I am getting ready to install 1/4" cement board underlayment over my kitchen�s plywood subfloor. Using a laser level device (tripod mounted), I have discovered that in the area of my cabinet footprint, the floor is as much as a half inch below the highest point. I have placed a floor plan with the elevation deviations on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w7jpg/5011009456/

This plan shows the elevations of the kitchen floor in the cabinet footprint relative to the highest point. In this diagram, the highest point is at "C". This elevation is noted as 0.000". Other elevation points, A, B, D...etc are noted like, - 0.375". This denotes an elevation 0.375 (6/16") lower (-) than point C.

Of concern is that there is a 0.500" difference in the floor elevation on the same cabinet run (point C to points G and H). With this difference, and with a solid counter top (Silestone)to be installed on these cabinet bases, is it preferable to raise the floor 1/2" in the "H" - "G" area (assuming the floor can be raised by jacking from the crawl space below)?: Or should a leveling compound be used (type that is poured on the floor and self levels)? Or is it acceptable to go ahead and shim the cabinets starting with the corner cabinet (point "C") with the result being that the end of the peninsula cabinet (points "H" - "G") ending up with a 1/2" shim?

Please note � I removed a tile floor (12 X 12 tiles / thinset / �" backer board / thinset � was more like mortar) from this area. The plywood subfloor had been scarred pretty good from the prior owner�s removal of a linoleum floor that had been installed over a �" wood composition product that was bonded very effectively to the p-subfloor in numerous areas. In any event, the tile floor was in place for 10+ years�no cracking of tile or grout anywhere. I have added this because of the concern expressed by some of the forum contributors (pros and DIY�s) over floor flex and unevenness. My floor has also has flex: I can move the laser beam as much as 3/16" in elevation over a 10 foot distance with tile and backer board removed by walking around the tripod. My simple math says this is 0.0188" per foot.

Comments, please.

Thanks, Keppie

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen floor elevation deviations

Comments (5)