SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dontcallmeshirley_gw

Do I need to replace this subfloor? *Please Help!*

dontcallmeshirley
16 years ago

My bathroom redo began today and I am faced with an important decision I do not feel equipped to make.

It is being remodeled because a slow water leakage has been occuring since '95 and it has badly damaged the floor. Today the room was gutted and my contractor pulled up the damaged plywood and found the subfloor is covered by a layer of linoleum which probably dates to 1965. He thinks the linoleum protected the subfloor from water damage and since it does not feel soft underfoot he thinks it can remain if the surface is smoothed out. If I want to replace the subfloor he will do it for an additional charge. However he doesn't think it is worth the effort.

My instincts are to start brand new and get rid of the old, crummy, dirty subfloor but I have absolutely no idea what is the standard for a subfloor and would hate to waste money and time on something that will not be seen anyway. Also the floor is not level but he thinks that can be repaired enough to be sufficient for the tile.

Since I am alone in this house I would *VERY MUCH* appreciate an informed opinion and hope these pictures will reveal enough. I need to let him know tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: subfloor

Comments (10)