SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_j100

Concerned about our kitchen designer - please advise!

Beth J
6 years ago

We are about to embark on a kitchen renovation with a designer/cabinet rep firm who created a plan for our small, awkward kitchen about a year ago. I'll say upfront that we've been slow moving to pull the trigger on going through with the actual work, as we were lining up financing and thinking through our best way forward.

That said, we are newbies to this process, and can't tell whether what we're expecting is fair. At this stage, we have given them a hefty deposit for semi-custom cabinets (total will come out to $30K), and we feel like any time we ask whether a certain option is possible, their first answer is no.

For example, I'm an avid baker, and really, really wanted double ovens. For the longest time, they said this simply wasn't possible in our space. Finally, we came up with a place to put them, and they're now in the design. But they said the only place to put the microwave was on the counter?!?! We went back to the design and came up with a plan to swap out shallow upper cabinets in our pantry for shelves where we can put the microwave, and they finally agreed that could work. We also said we wanted a farmhouse sink, which they said no to, only to find it was possible to cut down a cabinet a bit to make it happen. Yesterday I went in to discuss what storage options they had planned for our cabinetry, only to find they hadn't really planned for much at all. When I asked about storing silverware, I was told they found the ones that come with the cabinets "bulky", but I could always look for something at the Container Store. We're using Wood-Mode cabinetry, and after spending some more time on their site, there seem to be dozens of interesting configurations and options beyond fixed shelf cabinets. Like I said, we haven't done this before (and are unlikely to again for another 20+ years, at least), but it feels like I'm able to come up with all these solutions and they clearly don't want to.

Are we expecting the wrong thing? Is there job really just to come up with the layout and then pass off? From their website and reviews and our initial meetings, it didn't seem like that, but maybe we're mistaken? I'd really appreciate honest feedback!

Comments (18)