SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amybo_gw

Please review our kitchen layout and island design

amybo
12 years ago

This is our first remodel project and we would really appreciate your feedback on our design. We are at San Jose, CA. If you have a good kitchen designer recommendation, I would appreciate your referral also. We have decided to go with GE 48" built in frig, 36" GE induction cooktop, GE oven, 2 dishwashers, 1 GE avantium speed oven (next to the frig). We will have 2nd microwave and toaster oven on the counter somewhere.

We talked to a couple cabinet makers but they want to put together a layout as fast as possible to give me a quote rather than talking through the pros and cons of my 3 designs. They are not trying to think about better designs. Since we spend a lot of time in the kitchen and family room area, this is the most important room that I want to get right. We have 2 teenagers who will be doing homework in the kitchen and probably will have friends over and eat around the kitchen.

We came up with 3 designs with our own software - please see the links for pictures. Each square is 1sf. I did not make everything perfect since I am still learning how to use the software. For example, I can't figure out how to create 1' countertop overhang for the bar chairs.

(A) Island counter with Square end

(B) Island counter with radius

(C) Island with built in banquette booth

Personally I like the comfort of sitting in the booth but my husband does not like booth since he is tall and it's not that easy for him to get in and out of the booth. Although I love booth, option C somehow does not look as nice as option A/B. I am wondering if I actually have enough room for booth (the size of the island is flexible).

For option (A) and (B), do you think the radius or square end look better?

Initially we want double ovens next to the frig but now decide against it since it would make the window area feels smaller and less open.

We would really appreciate your comment and feedback such as size/shape of the island, appliance placement, and your vote on the best option (or some modification). Thank you so much in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: option A B C pictures

Comments (5)