SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travelerok

Found a home in a slow growing development

TravelerOK
7 years ago

I found a home I'm interested in but wanted to seek some helpful logic that I might overlooking.

The house is located about 5 minutes from a major interstate but in a city away from the big cable amenities and sewage. So septic and slower internet it is. It's not a bad area just a little longer drive to go places but more bang for the buck. Here's the issue.

The house was built in 2012 and hasn't sold. From the realtor, he said in a text convo (taken with a grain of salt) that the home doesn't qualify for additional upgrades or money back options due to the builder is "underwater" with the home right now. Also added that the house had 2 previous buyers but one died in a car wreck and one failed credit due to student loans. So they aren't wanting to give extras supposedly like a fence or shelter if I tried to ask for those. First question, have you ever heard of a house being on for that long they won't want to do any upgrades to it?

The realtor also added the other builders in this area are also "underwater" with their homes. There are a dozen or a a few more that are actually completed. There are 2 homes that nearly look finished on the outside but the drive way isn't done and is overtaken with weeds.

I really like the house because it sits high up on a hill and is angled appropriately for drainage purposes and plan on looking at it anyhow. I'm concerned about the community being under developed and what that means for the future to resell. Should I be worried or is there a city division I should be checking into to verify if it's a good place? It's not a flood zone most likely cause of the higher elevation.

Thanks!

Comments (10)