SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Found the problem for our slowing market...

Little kid sports is to blame. While all markets slow down after Labor day, ours was excessively slow. Our kids aren't active in sports, they prefer dance, but this is the first year the powers in charge have moved the usual Tuesday and Thursday night soccer games to Saturday morning. After some investigation, this will be the first and only time they do this. They are moving the soccer league to the spring next year, after their 7 week season. The reason is there is also a Fall flag football league. They play on Saturday mornings too. Kids want to do soccer and football, but can't since they are going on at the same time. This is the second season for the flag football, that may explain the slower sales last year, but with both of them it is too much. Both these activities include 5yr to 12 yr olds. Take that times their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends that come to watch, that doesn't leave much of our town of 4,000+ to come to the Farmers Market.

With 3 other Saturday activities, we didn't do the market and I just took everything with me to the bigger market and had the best market day in 2 months. I guess we will continue this and see what happens to our small market. Maybe if the sports continue, we will just have to end the season earlier. My neighbor set up his booth and had $42 in sales all morning. Glad I didn't have my family set up.

Jay

Comments (12)

Sponsored