SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

What can you tell me about gypsy moths?

Lalala (zone 6b)
7 years ago

I found two gypsy moth caterpillars ballooning from my oak tree today. I'm slightly freaked out, because I find them gross and I don't want my trees to be defoliated! Also my husband is planning to build my kids a tree house in this oak tree. I know gypsy moth numbers are up this year, but it's the first time I've seen them in my neighborhood. My trees were already hit by winter moth. What can I expect? Any insight from the MetroWest area?

Here are my specific questions:

-If I have only seen two, is it possible I just have a few and it won't be a big deal? Or should I brace myself for a big population?

-This is a big oak in the corner of a very small yard, so there's no avoiding the tree. Is their frass going to be falling all over the place? We can't eat on the patio during winter moth season because the poop falls on our food! I was looking forward to getting outside again.

-I've never considered having trees professionally sprayed with Bt, but if we turn out to have a bad infestation, should I look into it? Any suggestions?

thanks!

Comments (21)