SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_davis48

Growing cucumbers in miracle gro moisture control

Anthony Davis
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm attempting to grow cucumbers in Miracle Gro Moisture Control and 12 inch deep planters. I'm a noob at gardening in general, but I've had much better success than this in the past.

The cucumbers started out fine. They didn't fruit or flower very quickly, but they were nice and leafy!

Then they drooped, and some of the leaves turned yellow and brown.

I stopped watering, thinking I had overwatered, and they came back with lots of new, green growth and, eventually, started flowering. About a week after they started to fruit, though, they suddenly look completely wilted and dead. I may have had unusually crappy drainage. I drilled four small holes in the bottom of each planter before planting, but I don't think that was enough. I have since drilled four bigger holes in the side of each planter, as near the bottom as I could get without moving the planters, as the vines were very well attached to the railing and the netting that I put on the railing. It was the next day after the drilling that they started looking bad.

They've looked like this for a few days, now, though they're still mostly green.

Here's what I know:

• The soil is high in nitrogen which is great for green, not good for fruiting.
  • We seem to have a marginal pollinator population, though I don't know if that matters at this point.
  • There are no ants or beetles that I can find. There are snails, and I pick them manually, and have snail bait around the containers. I also had put some in the containers, but dug as much out as I could find after they started looking moldy.
  • The stems hold no sticky stringy white stuff. There is no mold on the leaves.
  • The recent storms may have moved the planters back about an inch. Disturbed roots?
  • Some of the leaves look healthy, except for the fact that they're completely wilted. Others have yellow and brown spots that have rotted from the middle.
  • I recently got a moisture/pH sensor from Amazon, and the pH is 8+. The moisture at the bottom of the planters is always pegged out at "wet" while the top one inch of the soil planters will show "dry." I didn't have the sensor before, so I don't know what it was showing when I stopped watering and they recovered, but I do know that the soil looks wet when the sensor says the top inch is dry. Letting them dry out didn't help, though, so now I'm watering them any time the sensor says that the top inch is not "moist."
  • There are a few cucumbers that are trying to grow on the otherwise wilted plants.

If I was starting over now, I would use something different than the moisture control soil, but as it stands, I don't want to toss $200 worth of dirt. I have ordered more cucumber seeds to try again, and I'm considering mixing what I have with whatever I can find that has great aeration so I'm not wasting so much money.

So, now that you've read my book, any advice?

Comments (10)