SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linus2003

look what I found today...

linus2003
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have been lloking to buy more kitchen towles for a while now and not found what I wanted but today in a secondhand store I found this:

17 lovley old kitchen towles, yippie. They are nice and not worn, need a hot washinging, mangle and them good to go. Just above 1 dollar each, cheep I think. There are secondhand stores that take 6 dollar each and those are also used.

Here is one of the top left ones, really like them.

2 weeks ago I was talking to a friend that rents space for their caravans at our farm about that I wanted more kitchen towles and not wanting new. When they came back this Saturday she had 12 never used, 1930 kitchentowls from here grandmother With her and she gave them to me because she has to many, so sweet of her.

Here they are all 12

Unfolded.

So this afternoon all they went into my Miele together with other dirty kitchentowls, spreyed stains, and put them on a 200 wash, with prewash with oxy, water plus, 2 h 45 m

Almost full load 54 towles, there are room for more.

Here they are in wash, bad pic, did not open the door.

Just put tjem in ther dryer on irondry, 1h 28 m. Tomorrow ironing on my Miele ironer.

Also got these yesterday

Got then from Ikea 2 for 2 dollars, they are really nice and thick. Were gonna have them in the kitchen for hands after washing. There are 20 of them.

Comments (25)

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Oh what a nice haul, Bjorn. Beautiful! Kitchen linens are my weakness so I'm drooling at these. They look good boil washing in your Miele, too. Nicely done.

linus2003 thanked Alex Chicago
  • Related Discussions

Look what I found today!

Q

Comments (9)
    Hey You did it..LOL Very cool! Great Job! If you would like to try a clickable link..and have Photobucket .. place a check in the box next to the photo you wish to choose... scrool down to the bottom.. on the far right hand side you will see a "generate HTML" click on it.. on the next page copy the first choice and paste it in the body of your message @ GW.. You should be good to go.. Congrats on your great find.. I wish they had plant sales out here!!! Kylie
    ...See More

Look what I found today at the farmer's market

Q

Comments (7)
    Beautiful sunset, beautiful Queen's Wreath. This flowering vine has captured part of my heart. I will be getting one from a gardening friend here in FL Gard. and I am thankful for her generosity. I look forward to watching it grow and blooming for the first time. Enjoy your new beauty and the fantastic sunsets. FlowerLady
    ...See More

Look What I Found Today!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Yachter, That picture is absolutely perfect! I have found that pictures tie together, as you say, collections so wonderfully. I've used them at Christmas. Just shows what you can do if you have a sharp eye out! And this one is so much better for your collection than a "chef" picture--and the colors are just right. Are you going to frame it or put it on a board, or leave it as it is? - Magpie
    ...See More

Look what I found today on my Philodendron Gloriosum

Q

Comments (18)
    Australia has a very strict quarantine on incoming plants, that's why. what, you did not know? and of course you'll have to pay for shipping ...a-ha-ha...- makes no sense whatsoever! the cutting won't survive the long process in any case. you prolly can get something similar from Thailand faster and with phyto certificate.
    ...See More
  • larsi_gw
    7 years ago

Björn.....Mycket bra. Vilket kap!!

linus2003 thanked larsi_gw
  • linus2003
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. It is great, needed more kitchentowls, the ones I have are beginning to get to thin and breaking.

They are all 100% linen.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Linus - they looked linen. Thanks for confirming. Two weekends ago I worked on some vintage linen tea towels I had bought on eBay. Most were rescued with a series of boilwashes but a few stains remained. I finally caved and tried the "bleach in sunlight" method, thinking for sure it was nonsense. Every stain was gone, and some almost vanished before my eyes.

• miami mami
    7 years ago

Lovely towels mr bjorn. I'm looking forward to checking out some estate, garage and yard sales this summer thrift stores etc to see what I can find.

linus2003 thanked miami mami
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Bjorn my lovely boy..you hit the jackpot. Those towels are beautiful. I'm happy you found these and at a great price. I owe you a nice long Email...which I want to get to in the next day or so, but I do think about you and hope your feeling at least comfortable. Big (((HUGS))) and XXX..Mama

linus2003 thanked mamapinky0
  • linus2003
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Mama, and I really did.

Just come in from the laundryroom and now are all 54 towles ironed in my Miele ironer. About 1 h 15 m to do them all.

Been a busy day here today. We are gonna repaint parts of our stables amd barn. So I have been pressure washing with a Karcher pressure washer most of the afternoon and been digging down so we can paint below soillevel and refill with gravel. Hard work but fun to se results and my father in law are doing the painting next weekend.

Look forward to email but dont feel bad for takeing your time, you got alot more on your plate than I so most important are family.

XXXXX hugs to you to

Björn

• enduring
    7 years ago

Great looking towels, thanks for sharing these pictures. It will be so nice to have the barn and stables painted!!! What color do you use. Here, we have an old Swedish heritage, and people will paint the barns red with white around the window trim and all corners. Is that what you still do there?

Here is a picture of a Lutheran Church in my area. It was recently renovated. Maybe I posted it last winter. It seems I might have, oh well here it is again :) You can't see the steeple, but it is very tall. I think the church is called Swede Valley Lutheran Church.

linus2003 thanked enduring
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful vintage towels. Those are really a treasure and will give you years of excellent use. Just great!

linus2003 thanked rococogurl
  • Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

@Enduring: I've gone from Norwegian heritage (Decorah) to the Swedish neighborhood I now live in (Andersonville). I cannot escape it! Very good carpentry in both traditions, however.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Alex, are you a carpenter, either by vocation or avocation?

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Enduring, perhaps by avocation -- to a limited degree -- but certainly not vocation! I'm an office guy now. Though I'd rather be home working with my hands, whether it be woodworking, cooking, sewing. K and I have dreams of having a small homestead someday, but we are attached to the city right now.

• enduring
    7 years ago

OH NO Alex, don't get me started!!! I have a sewing machine fetish :/

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Did you see the machine I confiscated from my mom's house last weekend? Old Kenmore Ultrastitch 158 series, probably only used for a few hours (she hates to sew and only used it a few times as a sign of appreciation when my father had bought it for her). I believe these were Janome made. I've become the king of hijacking threads, but there's a photo:

• enduring
    7 years ago

LOL, yes, but as we all know, and Bjorn will understand, thats how we roll on the Laundry Forum, ha ha ha.

Hi Bjorn!!!

Nice machine. I love the older machines. They look like fine classic autos. I have, shush, don't tell DH, 3 Berninas (1 for parts, unless I can get it working too), 1 Necchi, 4 Elnas (2 of them are for parts only).

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Wow! Now that is impressive :) I must admit I'm not even familiar with all of those. My sewing knowledge does not run deep -- just my interest in it! Got interested due to the crap quality of a lot of things for sale now. Figured I'd better learn how to make some things because the chance of buying good new diminishes by the day.

Now, if I could just win the mangle I'm bidding on... *hush indeed*

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Hubs reminded me I have another sewin machine in the closet somewhere, probably a Kenmore I can't remember. .I think its in a crazy flowered case..dead give away of the late 60's or 70's

• enduring
    7 years ago

Probably a proper sewing machine IMHO

• linus2003
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Enduring

Yes it will be nice to have this bit painted. The part we are doing are the back side lf stable and barn foundation. My barn are as you said Swedish heritage, red with white trim, my were a classic big Swedish woodenbarn, but mine is naw clad in corrigated aluminum painted in red with white trim. The foundatiln are rendered stone in white but we are changing that to black to match the rest of the farm. The stable are brick rendered painted white with redwindows, greay corners and around the windows.

We did the other side last year and courtyard the years before so always something to paint. I will post some pictures during the weekend.

Ps: don't mind highjacking........... ; )

• enduring
    7 years ago

Bjorn, it sounds great! What do you mean when you say "rendered stone"? Does that mean it is concrete molded to look like stone?

Our barn was white wood, then in the 60s it got clad in white steel. It is still there. The paint has eroded alot, but the steel really has protected the old barn.

My DH grandfather and grandmother were from Sweden. His name was Nels. He was sort of an SOB I think, but he died in the 40's. He didn't have my DH son until he was in his early 40s then my late father in law didn't have my DH until he was in his mid 30s. The generations are really stretched out. We are in our mid 60s and we have a daughter that is 26 and a son that just turned 25. Though I have a son in his mid 40s from a previous life, lol. In Iowa there were a lot of German and Swedish immigrants settling here in the mid to late 1800s

I'm really off topic now hahaha

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Good Iowan stretched generations! I was born in '84, my late father in '37 and (get this) his father in 1899. That's right, folks... I'm 32 and my grandfather was born in the 19th century. Needless to say, I never knew him. My mom was born in '42 so they were 47 and 42 when I was born. My half sisters (my dad's daughters by previous marriage) are 25 an 26 years older than I am.

:-O

• linus2003
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rendered stone : they build with stone or brick then put a layer of plaster over that gets painted. Back in the day all thww buildings here were limewashed. Thats a white watery paint that you need tp put on in many layers before it covers completly. We use a silicatepaint that are a breathable paint for buildings made like this.

Well I am sort of also like you streached. Got a half brother 9 years older on dads side. Dad born 34, mom 38. I am born 73.

Dads mom 05, dads dad 1889, moms mom 01, moms dad 11.

My dad died 2009, 4 days before his 75 birthday.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Bjorn, interesting about the breathable paint. That sounds like a good thing, never thought about it.

Your grandparents were stretched from each other too, lol. paternal grandfather was 16 years older than his wife, your grandmother. Your maternal grandfather was 10 years younger than his wife.

• linus2003
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thats true about their age gap.

If you paint these 120 year old walls with paint that does not breath they will crumble and break down. The briks that are yoused to build these stables as clay brick that are not fired so they will brake down with moisture.