SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

Ostrich ferns and Corydalis crowding out hosta views

brucebanyaihsta
7 years ago

Looking for my large old tookusdama (thanks Don!) Aurea nebulosa, I was shocked that a white corydalis had overpowered it and was causing it to shrink. That corydalis has been re-located!

Thought I would show how these wonderful groundcovers can over time take over your hosta beds - not that I mind, I just remove them when weeding ( they mercilessly self-seed!)

These Japanese painted ferns are racing the ostrich ferns to take over - there is a very large 3 ft by 3 ft hosta Blue Max hidden in those ostrich ferns, barely visible on the far upper left

Yes, ostrich ferns spread even up hillsides!

Other end of that pathway - the white blooming corydalis is spreading into the hosta

See the Blue Max trying to get out of the ferns, next to the Japanese umbrella pine tree!

Different lower terrace the ostrich ferns have taken over a whole hosta bed - need to thin them out and move them!

Ferns taken over the hillside, but these I like there for ground cover (steepness of hillside). See if you can find the Blue Max trying to escape ferns (middle left of ferns)

Corydalis - white and yellow blooms, spreads wherever - neat leaves as well

Corydalis pushing a very mature Sum & Substance!

This wall has self-seeded corydalis for the past 10 years. I cut off the dead leaves in the winter and new plants emerge in Spring!

So, beware when that nice groundcover takes off; it may not kill the roots but it will crowd out your hosta views!

Bruce

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living