SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacy_gw

DIY out with old, in with new plan

jacy
15 years ago

Greetings,

A recent sewer issue forced the removal of a couple much-despised yews of some variety and I took that as a sign it was time to pull out the rest! It was a way too linear look that I'd tried to bump out a bit with hostas, and it's time for a real change.

Much as I'd love to, I'm in no position to hire a designer so I've spent some time trying to research design principles, mixing textures, heights, seasonal appearances, etc., in my urban midwestern location. The list I came up with for my fairly shady front and side is below, and I uploaded a very crude plan, key, and current photos.

You can't really see it on the plan, but I put in a curving footpath from the side sidewalk, across the front to the sidewalk to my back door, because my kids persist in cutting across the front lawn. I'd like to put in some sort of stepping stones, not a structured paver walk, and that'd probably be next summer.

In the meantime, here's what I'd hope to put together. I'd be very grateful for any input whatsoever -- thanks!

Already own and want to relocate:

Burning bushes - 3,youthful

Euonymous green and gold - 5/6, young

Hosta - green/white small? -- way too many, mature

Hosta - blue - 2, young

Holly - 3, looking sickly at the moment

List of possibles I'd like to add:

Shadblow serviceberry (white flowers) OR Cornelian Cherry Dogwood - 1

Willow Dappled (Hakuro Nishiki) - leggy light green/white foliage / early pink blooms

Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta) - green foliage/ late fall pink blooms

Helleborus 'Royal Heritage' - leathery evergreen / early spring pinks/purples blooms

Bugbane 'Brunette' (Cimicifuga ramosa) - deep burgundy foliage / late summer white spiky

Ostrich Fern

Malipartus Maiden Grass - spiky green / maroon & green late fall

Yew - a small juniper, maybe?

The serviceberry or dogwood would go at the corner and (eventually) hide the downspout.

The two burning bushes would come forward a few feet, to where the blue hostas are now, and the footpath would wend behind them. At the base of each burning bush would be 3 euonymous.

One dappled willow would go under the right window; the other would go along the side of the house with the 2 blue hostas relocated alongside it.

The smaller plants and evergreens are placed to disguise the sides of the steps and fill in with seasonal interest.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

~Jacy

P.S. Not sure where all those other hostas and much of the pachysandra from the side are going to go; probably to neighbors and the backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan, Key and Photo

Comments (6)