SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circonium

Flummoxed by how to lay out new kitchen in old house

circonium
2 years ago

Hi, and thanks in advance. I have been profitably lurking.

Moved not too long ago into a very nice 1915 house with a 1980s/early 90s (?) kitchen. Renovating the kitchen has always been a priority but I'd hoped we could limp through a little longer.

Unfortunately the elderly gas cooktop (bonus: there's no hood!) is having trouble sustaining its pilot light. We are antsy to replace it but nothing is in stock anywhere. Luckily, we also have elderly electric cooktop (yes it's weird):

The kitchen has many problems. The "butterfly-style" sink is uniquely terrible. Cabinets are peeling and poorly planned. There are not enough uppers for glasses or dishes (we're tall).

I think I have to spring into action and start ordering appliances so they will show up sometime in 2022 when we start renovating. I have space to store things if they arrive early. But since I can't come up with a floorplan, I'm not sure what size(s) will fit.

It's a self-contained kitchen with eastern and southern exposures. I find it a pleasant place to be, and I like the openness. But I am stymied by trying to figure out how it could be arranged better.

I want:
*dedicated pantry/food storage
*seating (counter or table) for at least 2 people.
*if I can have them, double ovens and an induction cooktop. We have never had double ovens before and they are one of the bright spots of this kitchen.

Family is two adults and two teens and a few pets. We are in the heavy cooking years because of the teens.

Wildcards:
There are three windows, two with sills lower than counter height. The current solution of running cabinets in front of the side window kind of works. I suspect the garden window has leaked in the past and has rotted so that's another issue.

There is a service hall/butler's pantry with bar sink outside the kitchen where I am storing small appliances, glassware, and pet supplies. I can fix it up but I don't want to rip it out.

There is a steep back staircase off this hall that joins the main stair landing. It is so steep it is only usable by cats. I love the charm of it but have thought about whether I could use the space to store food. The kitchen space seems big enough that we shouldn't need to do that? I would rather just leave it.

Existing floor plan:

This was my attempt at a design but it doesn't seem great:

Appreciate any thoughts. Here is another photo:

Comments (11)