SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Found a stack of Kitchen magazines from 2008

mrspete
7 years ago

I enjoyed looking through them. The kitchens didn't at all look "dated" to my eye, but I did note two interesting things:

- Approximately 75% of the kitchens were wood tone, while the remaining 25% was about 15% white and 10% paint in other colors.

- Only a smattering of white subway tile (for kitchens, more for bathrooms) and not a single white-cabinets-with-white-subway-tile. Backsplashes tended towards more color and squares instead of rectangles. Plenty of kitchens sported only painted backsplash instead of tile.

Makes me question the "all white is so classic!" line.

Comments (34)

• eam44
    7 years ago

Interesting! The albino kitchen is more millennial than we thought!

• klcinaz
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I read so often people saying they don't want to make choices that go out of style too quickly. I struggle with that too. I wonder if that is a direct response to the style of certain decades like the 70's and 80's. It seems like those are the years were all trying to avoid recreating. I wish your stack of magazines was from back then. ;)

And you're right about the all white kitchen. The fact is, that is a trend too. Maybe it's safer than other trends like avocado and gold appliances but will it look right 20 years down the road in every house that has it. Maybe not.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen magazine back issue challenge

Q

Comments (11)
    I found it! It is also in Dream Kitchens display until January 2007 by Meredith Specials for BHG. It is Volume 3, no. 2. Their email address is kitchenbath@meredith.com The article is called "Stunning Recovery" on pages 94-99. The house is an 1895 Queen Anne house. I'm not ready to part with this as I'm helping a friend who is building a house. I can copy the article for you, but I know you want the colors, too. The kitchen designers were Ed and Nancy Hillner. Kitchen Classics, 519 Fourth St., Wilmette, IL 60091; 847/251-9540 The designers probably have reprints of the article. Here is a link that might be useful: Meredith Publishing
    ...See More

Which magazines have you found most helpful?

Q

Comments (17)
    All of them, LOL! I susbscribe to Old House magazine, because I have an old house, and always learn from articles like, "how to rebuild your windows,'' and to House Beautiful, cuz it's yummy. But I loved just standing at a magazine rack at a store -- try to hit the ones that discount the magazines -- and browsing through the vast array out there. I found I got ideas from everything from Elle Decor to even the ocassional InStyle (the decorating version). If I didn't subsribe to too many, I could pick and choose every month. Did I buy too many? Of course. Did my husband complain? Yes! I was about as addicted to those magazines as I am to Garden Web. But it's all knowledge, all knowledge. Now I don't buy them, but I still leaf through my old ones. It's amazing what you miss in the detail the first 20 times or so you go through those magazines. Is there a support group for addictions like this? Oh, right, it's called GW!
    ...See More

BHG's 2008 Country French Decorating Magazine

Q

Comments (6)
    I found this on ebay...... This is an amazing magazine of 144 pages of beautiful pictures of Country French Decorating - gorgeous ideas for charming decorated rooms. It is the Spring/Summer 2008 current issue that is reprinted by popular demand in a second printing. A very inspiring issue of what makes your home that beautiful acquired French Country appeal This thread is also 8th on the internet listing if you put in the name of the magazine. I thought it was funny that this particuliar discussion would come up. Makes me wonder how many other threads are on the internet if you use the proper wording.
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodeling - Wall Oven next to Plumbing Stack

Q

Comments (3)
    The cleanout for the plumbing needs to be fully accessible. Without having to pull out a wall oven. Or anything else. You need to be able to easily get to it for standard maintenance. How you accomplish that and keep the oven in that same location needs to involve a plumber. The cleanout may be able to be relocated.
    ...See More
  • Buehl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

White kitchens have been around here since 2007 - especially the "Something's Gotta Give" kitchen. It was all the rage back around that time and white kitchens have been with us ever since. I don't know about prior to 2007 as I did not join GW until 2007 - in fact that's when I found GW for the first time! I would not call it a "millennial" style.

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

White kitchens have come and gone, and they will do so again. The all-white kitchens that people are doing so much lately will eventually go the way of the harvest gold kitchens, the oak and Corian kitchens, the dark cherry and granite kitchens, and the ornate "European" kitchens of years past.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Not mine--I've had it since 1994, and I'm keeping it, although my kitchen isn't bright white, and I painted some of the cabinets green in 2011. That part might be trendy. My in-laws' kitchen has had white cabinets since the mid 1970's, my sister's kitchen--probably since the 1930's or 40's.

• eam44
    7 years ago

If you're dating the trend from 2007, then it absolutely is millennial regardless of what you'd call it, but I don't think you're right about that date. I think the albino kitchen hit its stride in the late '90s (hence, "more millennial") which is one reason it makes me laugh when people chose it now, so it won't look dated in fifteen years. It's going to look dated in ten.

Good taste will determine whether a kitchen grows old gracefully or not.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Moved into this house 2005. Did this kitchen with the help of GW. White kitchen, stained cherry island with subway bs. But, basket weave behind range.

i think back then it was ths thathomesite

• H202
    7 years ago

My mom put in a very stylish kitchen in 1989 in all white. White appliances, white and wedgewood blue square tile backsplash, white hardware and white corian countertops. Wall color was a dusty rose. It was very fancy in 1989. When they sold their house in 2009, they had by that time swapped all the appliances with SS as each one needed replacing, and she swapped out the hardware with chrome. Their house was otherwise exceptionally updated, interior designed etc. But the 20-year old white kitchen was what sold the house!

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

To clarify, I don't think white cabinets by themselves will ever be dated. But I do think the ALL-white kitchen - cabinets, countertops, and backsplash - will be.

Let's check back in 10 years from now to see what's happened!

• H202
    7 years ago

Kim - don't disagree. But the good thing about the "all white kitchen" is that you can make such easy changes down the road to keep it contemporary. Swap out the backsplash for $2000 and you have a new kitchen. Add some new light fixtures for $500. Or paint the walls a new color and add some bright art. Add some new cabinet hardware and people might not even realize your kitchen is 3 trends old. I don't think many other cabinet styles allow that much flexibility.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Everywhere I look, kitchens are white in upscale homes. Now though, they are paired with marble counters and backsplash, which actually has been happening for a while.

Please tell me, if white is not the most popular kitchen cabinet color, what is? Because, I can't seem to be able to find it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I guess it depends on where you are. In new model upscale homes in my area, everything is wood, with gray maybe 1% of the time. White, never. Never has been popular around here for models.

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

I'll place a bet that the all-white kitchens which are now touted as "clean," "airy," and "serene" will, in 10-15 years, be called "sterile," "cold," and "clinical."

I am not saying that if you like this style, you shouldn't go for it. But I've been through a couple cycles of white kitchens falling in and out of favor, and I'm pretty sure 2016 is not the last time this ever happen.

Of course, you should take my predictions with a big grain of salt. Back in 2002, I thought full-height granite backsplashes were just a temporary aberration. ;-)

• Celia Lin
    7 years ago

This is an entertaining read!

Thinking back to my rental history, almost all of the dozen apartments I've been in had all white kitchens. Especially the old complexes.

My last apartment was built in the 1920's. Original wood cabinets, with many coats of paint underneath, but the majority were white.

White walls.

White subway tiles -from the 20's. Super rough shape with nasty stained grout.

However, I don't think the white was for its 'trendy'ness!!

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

I remember when I first started on this site in about 2006, most of the kitchens were stained. Then someone posted their finished white kitchen with a black island and white subways - it was gorgeous but not extravagant. Everyone went bonkers for it. After that, there were more and more kitchens similar to that in style - and no wonder, it was really refreshing and beautiful. I always think of that kitchen when the topic of trends in kitchens come up - it was classic but trendy at the same time (and by trendy, I mean it seemed to start a trend towards a classic look - if that makes any sense).

• cpartist
    7 years ago

White kitchens will always be in style. What changes are the cabinet styles, the sinks, the countertops, etc. Everyone now is all about shaker. 15 years ago, no one wanted shaker (except me. I wanted shaker 30 years ago but wanted cherry wood. LOL)

My first house had white slab doors (Ikea) and the original 1920's subway tile.

Mrspete, can you post a few of those photos?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

I kept an issue of BH&G from 2008 for quite some time as my "inspiration" for my kitchen - until I lent it to my SIL and never got it back. The shaker cabinets were painted an interesting green, with green-blue glass tile backsplash -- it was the use of color that inspired me the most. No white kitchens in that issue that I recall!

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    7 years ago

White kitchens are timeless, it's the decorative touches that date a project. I first joined this forum in 2001 and fell down the white kitchen rabbit hole. THS members are first adapters (mainly I think because we have members from all over the country), so we were usually ahead of the national trend. You can pretty easily timestamp a white kitchen by wall color, countertop choice, and hardware (and to a lesser degree door style). Here's my timeline

1999-First home. Painted the oak cabinets white, added 4" square white backsplash tile, put in laminate counters that looked like the Corian we couldn't afford. Walls were a peachy taupe.

2001- White thermofoil raised panel cabs (there wasn't anyone doing white painted cabinets other than uber-high end custom manufacturers), khaki walls, maple butcherblock island, white subway tile (another item only being made by places like Ann Sacks and Sonoma Tile), brushed chrome hardware and fixtures, and Uba Tuba. I was one of the few non maple or cherry kitchens on the site.

2003- Custom white painted Shaker cabs with inset doors, crackled white backsplash tile, dark granite (wanted soapstone but impossible to find) , dark sage green walls, maple butcherblock, and brushed and polished nickel fixtures.

2008- new kitchen creamy white raised panel cabinets with a dark glaze, island in sage green, St. Cecelia granite, ORB hardware and fixtures, light sage walls, and Sonoma Tile subway tiles in Green.

Now a standard white kitchen is pure white cabs with Shaker doors, no upper cabs when possible, marble countertop, chevron or herringbone type backsplash in marble or white tile, maybe a walnut island, and brass hardware. Switch herringbone for glass mosaic and brass for brushed nickel and a 2016 kitchen is a 2012 kitchen.

I will say, our next kitchen will not be white. I think 20 years and 4 kitchens is enough!

• Kelly Garis
    7 years ago

Everything goes "in and out" of style. I think tasteful choices now will stand the test of time. Hyper white shades, anything with a heavy yellow or heavy pink undertones will appear dated. A neutral white is timeless. I also believe the trend towards 'natural - or well simulated natural' materials such as marble or granite will age gracefully. Any 'trend' taken to the extreme will show its age (im talking to you large single slab marble back splashes!).

• barncatz
    7 years ago

I think lighting and cabinet hardware are also a large factor in what we get tired of and then call dated. In 1985, we put original schoolhouse lights, scavenged from the architectural salvage warehouses starting to pop up, in our new build. They still look lovely in people's kitchens, they are "in", not dated, but our current house, built in 2005, doesn't have a one, lol.

• spanishsunlover
    7 years ago

The only kitchen that won't ever look "dated" is one which is deliberately dated...ie. a period kitchen in keeping with the house,. And assuming it isn't truly authentic, but contains modern conveniences, it can still start to look passé. But some styles and colors and materials are less likely to scream one era or another, andcan more easily be freshened. White is definitely one of them. Avocado green...not so much.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

I'm also of the mindset that even a white kitchen can look dated, but really, only because of the cabinet style, or thickness of something, the angles, etc. My neighbor had a beautiful, airy white kitchen, but it was DATED! Melamine cabinets, square (bathroom to me) tiles on the counter tops, a wood trim around the edges of the counters, fake white farmhouse furniture.

When you looked at the details as those of here are wont to do, we see the 'dated' where others would not. It's a forum curse.

I am also of the opinion that white is often for those afraid to commit to color. Look how some ag-un-ize (I made that up) over color and tints. (No, fishies, I'm not talking about you. You are an icon with an iconic kitchen.) White makes things easy.

Not a white fan here, but I do love shades of white. Cream, ivory, parchment, linen, etc. Something softer. But who cares? It's my kitchen and no one who knows me or has seen a small smattering of my kitchen would ever call me trendy, or afraid of being out of fashion. Crazy? Well, ya...

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

Building on what spanishsunlover said, I believe the best way to create a kitchen that won't look dated is to tie the kitchen design firmly to the period and architectural style of the house.

Unfortunately, many of us have houses that don't have an authentic architectural style, but rather a blend of many styles. That makes it even harder to design a "timeless" kitchen.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

I rented a home in 1995 that was built in the 1930's. It had white painted cabinets, marble countertops, divided light glass upper cabinet doors, chrome pulls and white appliances. The floor was part wood and part linoleum.

White kitchens have been around since the 1890's. They are part of what has been referred to as the American Sanitary look. All white bathrooms are part of this design style, too.

My newest kitchen is white raised panel cabinets with slab drawers, beveled white subway tile backsplash, quartz counter tops that mimic marble and natural black Brazilian slate tile floors.

While there may be some merit to a regional bias, I think white will stick around for a while longer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Sorry, but the title of this thread bought back very fond memories of a stack of magazines I found as an adolescent boy...

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC - what color were the kitchens in those magazines you refer to? ;-)

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

ooo.

Oh, my.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I will say, our next kitchen will not be white. I think 20 years and 4 kitchens is enough!

LOL. I'm laughing because when we redid our condo in 2010, I felt the same way about a white kitchen. I put in cherry cabinets, which I absolutely loved. However this time, I'm going back to white but I am putting in a dark wood island. A little of both.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The kitchens in the late 60s, when I was an adolescent, are shown here although the models seem to be wearing much more than I recall.

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

That page you linked is so interesting, Joseph. Take the first picture from the 50s or early 60s:

Swap the appliances for stainless, take out the 6" countertop backsplash, and switch the cabinet pulls... voila! You have an up-to-the-minute 2016 modern kitchen. Oh, and triple the size of the whole thing.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

I have that exact same pan. I have cooked with it almost every day for 35 yrs, lol. My mom is 89. I certainly don't remember a kitchen like this one and I don't remember her ever dressing like this while cooking :-)

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago

I ALWAYS wear my pearls while cooking.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I agree that one way to be more timeless, is to go backwards and be more vintage. My kitchen is not in style, but my friends tell me they think it is cozy and pretty.

The concept of the "dated" kitchen is something I am still trying, unsuccessfully, to wrap my brain around. The worn out kitchen - I understand that. Changing out expensive kitchen surfaces because of style - not getting it. I do get seeing something new, being able to afford it and replacing something worn out - just did that with my countertops and sink - love my new farmhouse sink.

I am trying to imagine Olivia Walton saying - John, these cabinets are so 1930s. We need to update them:) I am not sure if the pocketbook of the average person, especially in a down economy, can sustain the cycle of kitchen trends.

HGTV and the Internet give us a non-stop view into what we "ought to have" to supposedly make us happy - which is apparently related to being "on-trend". I do like my new sink very much - but it has not made me a happier person. I was pretty content before I got it.

Here is a fun read when your lot in life is to have an ordinary kitchen:)

http://victoriaelizabethbarnes.com/a-manifesto-against-the-tyranny-of-luxury-kitchens/