SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midorit

Reporting Dracana: mold problem: what soil??

midorit
7 years ago

So my plant looks like the photo I attached except it's about 5-6 feet tall and VERY heavy.

whem I first potted it was outside. I was told using number crop and other really sense nutritious soil was ok on the phone by a garden center. lol. thinking now and NON-dense soil would have been best.

I cannot redo again outside though as its incredibly heavy to move. it took both me and my husband and it was very tough.

In the bedroom now it's happy but its soil is sometimes growing this white cottony mold looking stuff. I googled it and heard clearing off that top layer and putting cinnamon helps and it did. only thing is that mold now is bothering my allergies as its a bit moldy somewhere in that pot (or mildewy)

So I have three dilemmas-

its too heavy to move.

repotting in my bedroom without releasing mold everywhere for my allergies- should I wet the soil first?

What can I mix into the soil, without dumping it all out to give it more air circulation so it doesn't get moldy/ mildewy? right now this soil holds moisture for a while. would just mixing pebbles into the pot help just stirring them down in? or do I actually have to dump it all out and start over.

Thanks SO much

Comments (7)