SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

soil test questions (OM, N/P/K) from my Extension report

candogal
12 years ago

I've been gardening intensively in my little 200 sq ft garden for 5-6 years. It's the only spot sunny enough, so that's it. Because I'm gardening so intensively and the soil was horrible when I started, I've been enthusiastic about compost and other amendments. Last year, a big present was when my DH & kids built me a 3 bin composter. I hung around this forum and learned great (!) stuff and enthusiastically enouraged oodles of rot. What fun! :-)

My town paved my road late last summer with chip seal, and to make a long story short, a bunch of road stuff ended up in my garden, which is close to the road. I realized I'd never had a "real" soil test done, so I sent my samples off to the Extension for my first "real" test and some heavy metal testing.

I got the results yesterday. (Heavy metals fine. Yea!) The other results confused me. I knew my P tended to be higher than N & K from my home tests, but gosh golly gee it's 189 ppm in the new beds and 306 ppm in the old beds. Ooops. Is this high enough that it will affect uptake of other nutrients? The Ph is ducky - 6.2 in the new and 6.3 in the old. The Cal is good in the new & high in the old at 901/1718 ppm and the Mag is also high at 184/235 ppm. K is a little low at 152/144. I'm really fascinated by the similarities & differences in the old beds (6 years old) and the new beds (made last year, very heavily amended.)

As I said, my soil started out horrid - a lot of builder's fill sand. The new beds, especially, seem like a heck of a lot of sand to me. I was surprised that the tests showed OM at 4.5% for the new beds and 6.23% for the old beds. I don't know the clay/silt/sand percentages - I can get a good guess at home doing something, right? Sticking my fingers in there, it just seems to me like it could have more OM. (Now isn't that scientific?) The tests suggest plant based matter only for the next few years, due to my P levels. (Hmmmm....gotta find somewhere else in my yard for the bags and bags of lovely horse poo....)

And how do the standard fertilizer suggestions from the Extension services stand up to intensive veggie gardening? The amounts they suggest seem low to me, compared to what I've been putting on. (Which does explain my P levels.)

Thanks for any help.

Comments (2)