SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yucatan_gw

Potting Mix, pH test strips and N-P-K advice for container plants

yucatan
14 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I have a few questions:

1- I see that Fox Farm potting mixes are highly recommended, as well as Fafard. Are there any other commercially packaged potting mixes that perform just as well or better? I want to know what to avoid and what to definitely pick up if I see it. I'm growing your typical tomatoes, chiles and herbs.

2- If I wanted to assemble my own potting mix for the above referenced plants, what should I buy, what ratios should I follow and how should I prepare it?

3- I'm thinking about purchasing the following pH & N-P-K soil test kit for $14:

http://www.lusterleaf.com/Product%20Images/rapitest%20Soil%20Test%20Kits/1601.jpg

It's cheap and tests everything I need, but is it worth it? I know it will probably be less accurate than those pricy meters, but as long as it's accurate enough to tell me when to add more N, hold back on K or lower pH, then that's fine with me.

4- What N-P-K ratios do chiles and tomatoes prefer? I used to grow citrus trees and I'm wondering if the same fertilizer can be used here. Maybe not because I used a higher nitrogen fertilizer and acidic soil.

Thanks and take care,

Robert

Comments (6)