SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Potash..... Greensand, Granite Dust and Soil Report.

emyers
15 years ago

Well, Hello again. Imagine that... me asking more questions (har har)

Just got my soil report back. It's the 2nd one from this particular plot, that I put into production this spring. Originally it was planted in centipede grass.

Land is sandy, sod was removed prior to tilling.

1st test was taken PRIOR to any ammendments being made in the first growing season. I assumed infertile soil and incorporated prior to getting the results (couldn't wait was late planting) the following:

Rock Phosphate @ 10 lbs /100 sqft

Greensand @ 10 lbs /100 sqft

Blood meal @ 2 lbs/100 sqft

I also added 150 lbs/100 sq ft of black kow compost

After incorporating all these ammendments and growing the garden over the summer, I cleared the garden and did another soil test. The idea was to see what had been used and added to the soil

Results indicate the following:

1. Phosphorous, which was initially borderline High/very high is now Very High towards excessive.

2. Potassium, which was initially low (34lbs/acre) is now very low (16lbs/acre).

3. Calcium increased but remained high

4. Magnesium decreased from high to sufficient

5. Just about all the other elements increased somewhat.

6. Interestingly, although I didn't add any lime, the ph went from 5.9 to 6.6.

So, my concern obviously is with P & K. I'll try not to add any more Phosphorous containing items (Rock Phosphate etc), and will just have to hope that works itself out I suppose. Looks as though the rock phosphate "worked", perhaps too good.

However, The Potassium on the other hand I don't exactly understand and need to get the deficiency corrected. Like stated before, I put in Greensand at a rate that was supposed to take from low to high, but doesn't look like anything happened.

I'm wondering if there just isn't enough microbial activity in my very sandy soil to break down what is already there and it's still just sitting there waiting to be used.

Thus the delimma. Do I just add nitrogen sources, & pretend the potassium is ok, Incorporate my pine bark fines @ x rate (if I remember right they have some potassium value also) plant my cover crop (with hairy vetch I think), till it in next spring, run another soil test and see what happens? Then, hopefully by next spring I'll have more microbial activity and this becomes a non issue.

Or, do I incorporate more greensand.

Or, possibly incorporate granite dust instead of greensand.

Would the granite dust potentially break down at a faster rate? Is granite dust more or less expensive than greensand?

Any manures that I want to stay away from/consider that would get my phosphorous levels back in line, while at the same time helping with the potassium shortage.

Then lastly, is it conceivable that most of the problems I had with my garden were potassium deficiency related?

Comments (16)