SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philosophia327

House Plans--Please Review!

philosophia327
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello GW,

DH and I are working with an architect to build our new home. We just received the floor plan for review and would love to have your feedback. A little info about us: I am a manual wheelchair user (cannot walk or stand) and DH and I have 2 kiddos (4 and 1). We are designing the house so that I can keep an eye on the kids while cooking and cleaning. We are trying to conserve space where possible, but I do need a little extra room to get around. Toilets will be wall hung for ease of cleaning. Swing room will be a playroom for the kids to keep toys out of the family room. Laundry room/office area is intentionally open and combined to optimize our workflow.

Need help with the exterior, we are looking to do a Greek Revival style home but I am also open to Federal, Cape Cod, or Shingle style. The house will be situated with the front door facing west.

Here is the google doc link to our floor plan: Floor Plan

We are looking for feedback on the following, but if you have any other suggestions let us know:

1. I don't like how far the garage sticks out in the front. I am worried that the front elevation will not look good with such a dominant garage. The lot is 105 x 166 deep so a side entry garage didn't seem to work well for preserving backyard space. We also considered a courtyard garage, but it stuck out even further. The garage does need to be this size as we have 2 vehicles, one of which is an accessible van and we are designing a landing for the van ramp to come out on. The 18' garage door is also off center as we need more room on the one side for the ramp to deploy. We also need a ramp from the platform up to the door to the house so the garage size really can't change but possibly the positioning.
  2. Do you think it will look weird that the family room and kitchen are out of alignment?
  3. We are aware that the bay window (walk out) would probably look better on the other side of the door, but the way the rooms line up across the front it doesn't seem to work over there. Is this a mistake to put it here? Or should we just omit it? We were thinking it would create a nice space for toys in the playroom and also for the Christmas tree (makes me happy).
  4. We are planning both full baths as wet rooms in that there would be a central drain for ease of cleaning. Not sure how that would affect toilet and linen closet placement.
  5. Is putting the washer and dryer adjoining the master bedroom wall a mistake?
  6. Anywhere you can recommend solutions for easy access such as pocket doors?

We also need help calculating the square footage (heated) as there is some confusion there.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)