SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmwestfall

First Timer Planting a Grass Lawn, Review My Plan Please!

David Westfall
8 years ago

New home owner, just moved in back in February and my backyard had 2-4ft high weeds everywhere. I am planning on planting Bermuda grass (live in Phx AZ works well here) in the next couple of weekends to have it growing this summer. So far I have done the following:

1: Cleared out the weeds

2: Turned over the dirt 2-3 inches by hand (didn't realize you could rent a tiller)

3: Laid manure over the dirt and spray with molasses (helps break it down) weekly.

Here are my planned steps:

1: Rent a tiller and mixing up the manure leftover (it is pretty well broken up and no clumps) with the top 3 inches of dirt.

2: Shoveling the mixture over a dirt sifter to remove any remaining rocks/trash/clumps/twigs/roots.

3: Lay sifted dirt/soil back down and rake even.

4: Spread Bermuda seed with Scott's lawn fertilizer.

5: Gently use the backside of the rake over the ground to help the seed stick into the soil.

6: Cover with 1 inch of Scott's Earthgro brown mulch.

7: Water every morning/evening when the sun is not out for 2 weeks then go to watering once a day at night.

Please let me know if as a first timer I am missing anything or need to adjust a step. I have spent a lot of time here and elsewhere reading up on this process so I think I have it down.

Comments (11)