SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamywhite

First timer here . . . can you please double check my process

dreamywhite
12 years ago

We built a new home a couple of years ago. Had a thin layer of topsoil spread on top of aweful dry rocky soil. Our grass grew beautiful. We actually had a bank run sand spread on the property before the thin layer of topsoil and still the grass grew beautiful.

Now this spring/summer it is time to prepare for flower beds around the house. In some areas we have more sand than anything, the bank run sand. I have done a lot of research on which plants I should be purchasing that do well with sandy/rocky soil conditions and sun locations. Our goal is to border the areas with a black plastic type landscape border. Add some cow manure from the local farm along with coffee grounds to the sand/soil. Mix it all up really well and top that off with some red wriggler worms. Wait a few weeks or perhaps even until next spring to plant. I am looking into purchasing bareroot or liner plants because of the cost (we need 200+ plants). I plan to plant these and add mulch/water etc.

Am I doing this correctly? I am so new to gardening I don't know if I am missing anything. In most areas I see small amounts of topsoil (if any) mixed with sand, manure, coffee grounds. Is that enough to make these plants grow.

What is your experience with bareroot plants? I was planning on buying them from Van Hoorn.

I really hopes this works.

Comments (11)