SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sullicorbitt

We had our turkeys processed -first timers

sullicorbitt
16 years ago

We raised 4 turkeys this summer, we got them as poults at the end of May, really my dh's project. Two BB white and two BBBrown (production birds). They grew like crazy! we found a couple not too far away who process turkeys (thanks to Patrick in NH) and set the date a few weeks ago.

One week before their scheduled date the two BBB got into a scuffle, with one dropping dead on the spot. Fortunately my dh was in the yard at the time and saw the altercation so we knew it was not death by disease. It most likely was a bonk on the head or stroke as the heart looked fine and there was no blood on the bird. He spent the next two hours processing the turkey as not to put it to waste.

A week later the other three went off to be processed, I tried not to get attached to these birds from the start but I found myself kind of sick to my stomach the day the left.

They all went into my MIL's freezer (we don't have one), with the three Tom's weighing in at over 30 lbs each and the hen at 25 lbs. My MIL cooked one this week and brought us over a load of meat which I used in a pasta dish that night. The meat really was excellent, the texture and taste far above anything I've had through a grocery store.

I had a little trouble eating the meat (emotionally) but I am determined to get over this!!! my hope is that eventually I will be able to eat our home grown meat with the same enjoyment as the factory farmed stuff.

We are already thinking about next year and possibly trying a heritage breed, these production birds grow so fast it's easy to let them get too big.

Sheila

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH