hzdeleted_20021230

Whew...it fits! ;-)

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Comments (56)

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Why not email One Kings Lane and ask them? That's where the pics from, right?

• DYH
    7 years ago

It's probably vintage that came out of a mansion somewhere.

• Related Discussions

Springhouse--success!

Q

Comments (1)
    Congradulations. I hope it serves you well. Let us know how it works out. We could use feed back on these types of greenhouses.
    ...See More

Anyone else DONE?

Q

Comments (80)
    Jessica, so many people have taken over my duties as the official "stuff in a box" sender that I've almost felt I had to have an alternative theme. LOL Really, I have a theme, plus one item that doesn't fit, but still, it resembles a theme. Kind of..... Annie
    ...See More

April 22 to April 28th San Diego

Q

Comments (2)
    I am glad you enjoyed the reading. It sure was a wonderful trip. I am now trying to get all the pics offf my cell phone...sigh ...no memory card...and then I will get the whole thing put together. Will keep me busy for weeks ! c
    ...See More

counter poll for those in the planning stages

Q

Comments (89)
    We started out planning on using Formica for a couple of reasons: mainly due to a limited budget but also because I have lived with Formica all my life and never really had any problems with it. But we ended up installing granite becuase there are some really great deals right now (at least in my area) on granite. It still was more than Formica, but for the first time in years it was within our budget range. We went with a Venetian Gold which is just a little bit darker (more browns and blacks, no burgandy spots) than the New Venetian Gold. It was just installed last week and I so, so, so love it. It may not be the current trend, but I love it! Besides price, I don't think I could stand soapstone in my kitchen. After being a science major and then working for 7+ years in a lab job, soapstone just reminds me too much of the lab!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ellie RK

Why not email One Kings Lane and ask them? That's where the pics from, right?

No, I didn't find it at OKL--it was on Tumblr, OKL used the pic as inspiration

Anyway, I discovered the room was in one of Bill Blass's residences

Another view:

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

OK, what is that enormous cylindrical thing?

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

TurquoiseRose

OK, what is that enormous cylindrical thing?

Maybe a bust of Napoleon?

• Kippy
    7 years ago

If I had a formal house, I would like this room except for the large black lamp and shade.

• User
    7 years ago

Maybe one of the globes is just for booze ;-)

• roxanna
    7 years ago

re: globes -- perhaps one is celestial and the other terrestrial....

• User
    7 years ago

Napoleon would scare me each time I entered the room, after the lights are out.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Gosh, yes, I think he'd give me the creeps too! Love the overall ambiance of the room though.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

This room has great bones, beautiful wall colors, wonderful furniture, but there's just too much stuff. Those four prints on the wall in the first picture would be gone, and quite a few other things. On the other hand, I'd have to have an Oriental rug.

• bpath
    7 years ago

chijim, I think you have it backwards. The panorama came first, the room was built to fit IT!

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I like that room and I love all those windows with the natural light. That's what, for me anyway, saves the room from being oppressive. The windows are beautiful.

Are the rooms from a house or an apartment?

• User
    7 years ago

I think that bust of Napoleon is sitting atop a cabinet that looks very much like a sailboat mast with a door. That's an unlikely place for a high-end broom closet but what else could one store in a tall, round cabinet like that??

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

That is a wonderful room! Love the panoramic photo!

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I love rooms like this because they are INTERESTING. I love to walk around and look at everything. They are unique, not at all cookie cutter, and they appear to be collected over time.

• nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Perhaps someone took pity on Napoleon and decided to make him tall? Really tall?

• lolauren
    7 years ago

http://markdsikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Bill-Blass-Solvi-de-Santos-1-480x654.jpg LOL. I think I see a towel pig on the left of that long photo? am I imagining that?

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

blfenton

I
    like that room and I love all those windows with the natural light.
    That's what, for me anyway, saves the room from being oppressive. The
    windows are beautiful.

Are the rooms from a house or an apartment?

I believe this room was in his CT house.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

i think the mystery pillar might be a tiled Scandinavian stove. It has a little door on the left side, perhaps for coals or wood? Stoves like this were a feature in many Scandinavian homes, often tiled in white.

I love this room. But if it were mine, I'd need a more comfortable sofa, and I'm afraid that more colors - a bit of russet red and a few blue shades - would creep in. Have tried and just can't do a truly neutral room.

It's the kind of room my grandson would enjoy exploring!

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Due to a well-meaning friend installing a new operating system on my Mac, some functions appear to be misplaced and other are just wonky. : >( So no link.

So if someone else wants to go over to Pinterest and search for "vintage tiled Scandinavian stoves", many examples of these beautifully designed pieces can be found there.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

But surely column stoves were not made of wood?

• User
    7 years ago

No, those stoves are made of tile. I don't think it is a stove.

The room, with a couple of good rugs, could have come right out of mythreedogs' house.......same beautiful wood patina and lovely selection of pieces with a collected but not fussy vibe,

• msmeow
    7 years ago

I think the dual globes are for symmetry.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I love the room. I have no idea what the tall columnar piece as a guess, could it be a long-gun cabinet?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

It is a gorgeous room, but as often, I wonder what I would do in it? Study my butterfly collection?

• User
    7 years ago

I would sit in it and play on gardenweb, what else?

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

LOL -- what she ^^ said!

I think this would be a lovely space to sit in the morning with a cup of tea and a good book. I'm imagining it's away from the rest of the house, quiet and serene. Of course, in this day and age you'd probably want a laptop handy as well.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

<3 <3 <3 I love this room so much. Just the right amount of stuff! I bet there are so many stories around the objects in this room!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

Ok, I do see some comfy reading chairs, that would work!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Did anyone else notice the room has 2 fireplaces, one on each side of the settee?

• busybee3
    7 years ago

nice room!! it's easy to overlook the 2 fireplaces since they look identical with the same mirror and eagle(?) over both!

if it were my room tho, i would remove the napoleon bust piece for sure!!

• User
    7 years ago

Chijim---you don't think that is staging for the photos? I am looking on an iPhone, hard to see details.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

kswl2

Chijim---you don't think that is staging for the photos? I am looking on an iPhone, hard to see details.

The room in general?

Probably to some degree like all room photoshoots, but after seeing pics of other rooms in Bill Blass's various residences that have a similar aesthetic, I'd say no....he lived like that.

• User
    7 years ago

No, moving the settee to different places for different shots so that two photos look like there are two different fireplaces.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I just love that room ! My DH's sofa would looke perfect there. I wonder if I can ship it out to BB.

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

There are in fact two different fireplaces in the room, flanking the settee. You can see if you scroll down in the photos in the link.

http://markdsikes.com/2012/02/03/american-chic-bill-blass/

• blfenton
    7 years ago

I think the globes are part of a collection - either from a certain era or subject matter.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Looking at other pictures of BB's home, he does have more globes, so apparently is a collector.

Am sticking to my thought that the pillar is actually a Swedish stove, also known as a kakelugn. Thanks a lot, Chijim, you have kept me on the internet today! Anyway, took a magnifying glass to my monitor and the pillar is made of many separate pieces in a pattern, with some having a darker, pictorial design, much like Swedish stoves. Some might say wood, but I am thinking tile. However, Bill Blass did like pillars as pedestals; there are several that he commissioned (from wood) for other homes; but they are of lower height. If this is a wooden piece it is an exact copy of the style from Sweden and is almost a kind of trompe l'oeil.

If the globes and the pillar triggered all these comments, just imagine how much fun it would be to visit this room with BB himself!

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I think that pillar thing actually houses Napoleon. Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

• lolauren
    7 years ago

I think the pillar thing is wood... and if you google variations of, "column cabinet," there are antique pieces that come up. Namely, this 5'+ liquor cabinet. I can absolutely see that piece being a liquor cabinet in that room, particularly with the key hanging off the side. http://www.antiques-showroom.co.uk/product/column-biedermeier-liquor-cabinet/

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Lolauren - Voila! You found it! Glad you solved the mystery. It fits perfectly with Bill Blass's taste, doesn't it.

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

I love your room. It's so beautiful and comfortable, like it has evolved over many many years. I would want to read many books in there.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

Somewhere on my shelves I have a copy of BB's posthumous memoir, "Bare Blass", which includes pictures of his houses and apartments, including the 18th century Connecticut stone house, a former tavern, with this room.

I remembered that after BB died, Sotheby's sold the Bill Blass Collection, about 15 years ago. I Googled and found it was in 2002. According to this article about the auction, the mystery object is

"a large patinated bronze rendition of Napoleon’s column. This reduction of the celebrated monumental bronze, erected to the glory of Napoleon I in the Place Vendome, Paris, sold for $176,000"

Half of his estate and some of the more important antiquities went to the Met.

An interesting comment on this blog post about the framed picture in the living room -- "I once read he bought the long horizontal piece shown near the ceiling in the third and fourth pictures by ‘eyeballing’ the dimensions. No surprise that it was a perfect fit."

Ha!

• lolauren
    7 years ago

Beckysharp -- thanks for the info! $176,000!!! I think that is a different column? Check out this photo.... a bronze reproduction column that is set in between, what else, two globes. :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

Thanks, lolauren! It's definitely a different column. Apologies for not checking. It would be great to have a copy of the Sotheby's auction catalogue to check these things lol. I'll have to see if I can find my copy of "Bare Blass".

Bill Blass's interiors so perfectly suited him, and he knew how to make a brown room look exciting and elegant.

• User
    7 years ago

Oak town, I scrolled through all the pictures in the link both times it was posted.....there is not a full on picture that shows two fireplaces. There is one picture with a fireplace and molding suggestive of a mantel but it isn't a definitive picture.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Surely there are others here who,looking at the above photo, have also noted Mr. Blass's sense of humor?

• lolauren
    7 years ago

"The main house has nine fireplaces, including two in the living room and two in the master bedroom."