SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaughn_jonathan

Is some other raspberry growing among my black raspberry canes?

andrew pruit
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I bought a Bristol black raspberry bush from a local nursery about 6 weeks ago or so, and after what seemed like a bit of a slow start it's really taken off. However, I've noticed that within the bundle of canes that are sprouting, one cane looks different. Most canes have very smooth green skin with the occasional thorn, and this cane is absolutely COVERED in thorns. Also, the new leaves sprouting from this one seem to be a bit red (turning green a few days later), while the leaves sprouting from the rest of the canes don't seem to have that quality. Most of the canes are sprouting from old/dormant canes, but a few (like this one) are sprouting straight up out of the ground. Is it possible that somehow some red raspberry roots got included in the packaging of the black raspberry pot before I bought it, and those are sprouting up? Or is it normal for some canes to be absolutely covered in thorns while others have almost no thorns?

I'm including a picture I took yesterday, let me know what you think. The cane I'm wondering about is right in the middle, and you can kinda see how different it looks from the cane behind and to the right of it.

Comments (2)