SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Not yellow jackets on my raspberries: Raspberry Crown Borers

glenn_russell
15 years ago

All this time, I thought that towards fall, yellow jackets landed on my raspberries to eat a bit. I now find out that these are not yellow jackets, but rather raspberry crown borers. Sigh another pest to deal with.

I wouldnÂt say that all my raspberries are covered. On the contrary, IÂd say only certain varieties (especially my Kiwi gold) get landed on. But, IÂve seen them for the last 3 or so years, which makes me fearful that theyÂre a small army which is building in numbers.

Yes, I have many wild blackberries in back of my house and eliminating them is not an option. I currently prune my of my everbearing fall raspberries to have 2 crops. Yes, I prune off the dead canes, but until I realized that I had this problem, I never saw the need to remove the canes from the property they just went in the compost.

IÂll now be looking for little holes at the base of the canes, and prune those canes out.

Questions:

Do many others out there have to deal with this pest?

Do you think itÂs likely that theyÂll come back even stronger this year?

It sounds like there arenÂt many sprays that will handle these buggers, and that it varies by state anybody spraying anything?

Are cultural practices (removing dead canes, removing canes with holes in base) enough to control this pest?

With so many wild canes nearby, can I ever hope to control this?

When I see the buggers, can I spray Sevin on them? What if the Sevin gets on the berries? (I know Sevin does break down quite fast)

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks,

-Glenn

Comments (12)