SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markdpelhamny

Black/Raspberry growing advice for beginner

markdpelhamny
15 years ago

I've searched and read extensively on this topic already in the forum and really appreciate the quality of the advice - I hang out in the container and sqft forums for the most part but will be adding this forum to my weekly "browse".

I live just north of New York City on a small property (1/3 of an acre) and have a small, successful vegetable and flower garden. My wife and children LOVE berries - I'm still trying to establish a high-yielding strawberry patch but they are agitating for blackberries or raspberries as well. I have a mostly sunny spot alongside our patio - it's 18' by 9', bordered by a stockade fence and a low wall around the patio. Here are my questions:

1) What should I plant - raspberries, blackberries, black raspberries or a mix? I haven't met a berry I didn't like, so assume all are interchangeable for eating purposes - which would give me best yield in my zone and be most appropriate for the proposed spot? Maintenance and disease resistance is also a consideration, and if there's a specific variety I should try then that would be useful as well.

2) When should I plant them? Can I get started in late summer or should I wait until next spring?

3) I've used raised beds elsewhere and am very happy with them - I've seen elsewhere in the forum that this approach is suitable for the various berries. If I want to be able to access both sides of the berries, I need 2'+ on all sides, so I'm thinking about doing two 3x5 beds

How many plants would I put in each bed? Depending on the variety, should I plan on trellising or otherwise providing a structure (fence posts on corners with wire around the bed, perhaps)? I would like this to not turn into a wild bramble since the existing garden is fairly orderly (and my wife is a neat freak). Would it make any sense to put in flashing or some other barrier below the raised bed to keep the roots contained?

I grew up with an enormous bramble in the backyard - it was prolific but the berries were usually tongue-twistingly tart and the canes were full of thorns. We called them boisenberries, but I have no idea if that was what they were. Still, playing in the backyard in the summer was rarely complete unless you grabbed a handful of the berries - I'd love for my kids to have some of those memories.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (15)