SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julesavl

3 weeks into my soapstone install and I am left scratching my head

julesavl
7 years ago

I have scoured GardenWeb forums for a seriously unhealthy amount during my kitchen remodel - particularly for information about soapstone as it is fairly unusual. (Thank you for all of your posts)! So now that it is in, I could use a little help.I have two concerns. After the install I discovered some fissures. There is a lighting bolt of fissures about 18 inches in length or so (as well as smaller ones throughout the stone). I believe that they have been filled with epoxy. When I oil, it is dark and dull around the cracks. The same dullness appears around my seam, which makes me think it may be the epoxy residue? Anyone with fissures have sheen issues? Are fissures something that should be disclosed before a stone is purchased?

The second issue is a head scratcher. I don't really know if it is normal. After the installers did the first oiling, I started to notice that within about 3-4 hours, some areas were turning back to light gray. The areas got larger and the color transition was not gradual at all.

We don't live at the house, so after coming back after two weeks, I had expected the counters to have returned to a consistent gray. The stone was about half med/dark gray and half really light gray. I oiled it again. It seemed some parts stayed dark longer, but most of the light areas were starting to turn within about 4 or 5 hours, and the same large patches were there to greet me the next morning.

Is this normal? Do I have to reapply oil to the light places (even if it is within a day) whenever they lighten? I was under the impression that the oiled counter evaporated in a more consistent manner. Will they eventually reach the same consistent patina? I have also thought that perhaps the oil is soaking into the stone (maybe it is comprised of large section of a different and porous stone)? In which case, should that be disclosed as a defect or at least the resulting blotchy effect mentioned before purchase? The company offered to come back and re-sand and then recommended a stone enhancer to keep it a consistent dark color. This seems like a bandaid fix to a subpar stone, or am I being unreasonable? Has anyone used a stone enhancer before, and once it is used can you sand it off in the future? Thank you!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County