SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

UPDATE: part 3 whats 5th annual whats left on my want list swap

pattygrow5
14 years ago

Here we are with our 3rd thread and we didn't even finish sign-ups yet we are up to 67 players so far and have 2 more days for sign-ups

THE LAST DAY FOR SIGN-UPS IS OCTOBER 10TH

the way this goes is first you sign up then go to your seed list and update your WANT LIST updating your have list is optional because we will not need that for the swap

I will send you an e-mail with my address if you e-mail is blocked thru garden web either unblock it or e-mail me directly with your e-mail address you are not offically signed up until I e-mail you back

everyones want list should be updated by the 10th make a notation with the date so we know it's done because we all know we keep adding LOL

You start checking all the players lists when the sign-ups are closed Angie will start a thread with a list of all the players that is clickable so you can go to one place to check all of the lists

On the list there will a number next to each persons name in the order that they signed up please put the gardenweb name and the number on the seeds who they are for

There is a limit of 250 packs of seeds that EACH person can send any more than that makes it too hard to find enough different things to send back to one person

I will not send you doubles of any seed unless you request it

You get back as many seeds as you send we may add a few extras if possible so remember if you have 100 packs of seeds sent for you and you sent only 20 you will only get 20 I try to pick the best ones.

Only seeds that are on peoples want list can be sent unless it is a special request from someone and those need to be marked special request and who they are for

Everyone seems to be happy I aim to please

You send the seeds to me with enough postage to mail the seeds back to you so whatever it cost you to mail is the postage you include with a self addressed sticker inside so I can put it on over my address to send back to you also put a note with your gardenweb name inside if you want delivery confirmation you need to add an extra 75 cents I think that is what it costs now

The seeds have to be sent no later than the 25th of November we will try to get them back to within 2 weeks of getting the last pack of seeds

This is a seed swap not a root or cutting swap so please don't send those to be passed on

Also don't e-mail people to send you seeds from their list unless they post that you can if you see something you want on someones list put it on your want list and if they have it they can send it to you

Thanks for joining welcome back to my regulars and to the new players one year and you are hooked

Comments (150)

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Good morning!

Angie - thanks so much for posting the new thread with the instructions and links! What a huge help! I've been a clicking fool! LOL

Iris - I agree with Angie about the basic seeds! There are some very basic seeds that I'm always looking for more of!

Toni - overwintering tomatoes from cuttings huh? My aren't you lucky! I wish you much luck with that!

Perennialfan - There are definitely some seeds that I prefer to know exactly what I'm getting and coneflowers is one of them in addition to cosmos and zinnia. Unfortunately, most of my zinnia and cosmos this year didn't come true. The butterflies certainly didn't care, but I do wish they had been. There are lot of other things that are quite exciting to see what you end up with. It's all trial and error for sure! :)

Anywhoooo, I'm off to look at more lists before I head out into the yard!

Diana

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

One more thing,
    I have seeds that are drying,should i add them to my "have" list?
    cAROL

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: #5-4th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (150)
    My total packet bet is 7979.43 by the law of average, should be right on the button. Now while we wait can we talk about my poor pumpkin seeds that were so fresh when I sent them, I mean I was still turning them every hour in the sun coming thru my french doors,before bagging them. Anyway, today, to my horror, the Musque de Provence seeds were moldy green!!!!I did not figure tha tthe time from when I packed them and the time we will get our seeds back would be enough to mold them, as I din't want to treat them with chemicals or bleach but maybe I should have!!! Looked on line for answers , someone mentioned rinsing the seeds in hydrogen peroxide before drying them. I panicked and use what was close at hand , put some bleach in water and filled the little baggie with it and slooshed them around until they cleaned up a bit, then i rinsed them further with my fingers, and planted them in a peat pot to see about germination. I don't know what to tell you. It's really sad to loose these, they were beautiful pumpkins, of the brightest orange flesh. If they are really lost then I will have to make sure mine grows and distribute the seeds again thru another swap.I am so sorry about that, thought i was doing the seeds a favor by not using bleach or other chemicals...and look what happened. Chris
    ...See More

UPDATE: #3-4th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Melinda - I feel for you! I'm sorry you've had so many colds for so long. I tell you, every time my latest one acts like it's about to go, then I fall further sick... it's weird to start feeling like you're getting better just to then ache more than before! Jean - You really had me giggling there. I understand all too much. I'm about half way through the lists and still have to pack up the matched seeds to what I know I have in my stashes.... somewhere... I wish they were all alphabetized! LOL Blessings, Angela
    ...See More

UPDATE: Part 4 -5th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (150)
    I'm getting ready to leave California finally, so I'm packing and will be out of touch while on the road and even when I get back as my daughter, Autumn, has a surgery. I just wanted to let everyone know that I certainly am glad we are speaking up rather than bottling it in. Everyone has been really kind in how they worded things and careful of others' feelings. I don't want anyone to leave or feel that we want them to! Diana, you know we want you here, right? I think we've handled this civilly and can move on to making this a GREAT swap again this year. I want to thank Diana, Patty, and Angie for clarifying their points on the running list. I'm not offended in the least and actually do agree seeing how some common names or how things are listed could cause a seed to be overlooked. I think we all care greatly to send in as much as we can to help fill wants, so let's all do our due diligence by looking up different names and checking through the lists the "old fashioned" way as well. I love you all so dearly and sure hope I haven't hurt anyone. My heart is truly in the right place just hoping to make this a good swap for all, and I know you guys want the same. Last year so many of you helped me get through one of the roughest times in my life, and I truly feel you were my friends when you didn't hardly even know me. I just appreciate you all SO much! The last thing I'd want is to have any hard feelings between our members.... Well, I'm off to running across the country now...... Blessings, Angela
    ...See More

UPDATE: Part 7-5th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (150)
    No not rustic colors rudbeckia Diana,sorry,looks like someone might beat the pants off you in this...lol....!;) It is getting so close I can feel it,one of you are going to get it soon!:) -It is perennial to zone 5 -It isn't Goblin Gallardia -It IS a rudbeckia -It is 18-24" - This one could be just the right thing for a craving! -It isn't Rudbeckia Toto rustic -It is not rustic colors rudbeckia
    ...See More
  • ollierose
    14 years ago

Hey Carol,

I have seeds listed on my have list that are drying and even some that aren't quite ready to harvest yet. I figured that way some would put them on their want lists and I can always pack them in paper envies and list "seeds are still drying" if they aren't completely dry when I need to mail to Patty. I did the same thing last year and it seemed to work out fine. I say go for it!

Diana :)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone!

Perennialfan273,
    I don't know why, but for me, with gardening, I always want to make sure I know exactly what I'll get with seeds. Does anybody else ever feel this way??
    I'm not that way really unless it comes to tomatoes, peppers, and squash or melons. It is a real crap (can I say that here, lol?) shoot I think on saving hybrid seeds to those. Besides there are already about 10,000 varieties of tomatoes I have yet to try, so I am not interested in seeing what seeds saved from a hybrid might produce.

Saving seeds from hybrid irises, daylilys and daffodils, among other things, can be very fun to grow out. Though they would maybe be open pollinated, and the father might be unknown, the children plants might be real show-stoppers and even worthy of registration on down the line somewhere when it has been grown long enough and multiplied enough. The children 'could' also very well be duds that would hit the compost pile.

I was given a sedum plant that a member had started from seeds saved from the hybrid sedum Neon. She just called it from Neon Seed when she sent it to me. I have the 'real' Neon in the same bed, and the one started from Neon seed was prettier than Neon itself. I guess it just depends on if one is only wanting named things in their gardens. I, for one, will cherish my from Neon seed sedum and think of the member often when I see it.

Anywho, I'm locking the doors, and pulling the blinds, and going to hide out today. I went to the Daffodil meeting yesterday, and came home with bulbs for myself from the club, another order that I had had shipped to a club member, and bulbs I bought for 3 other GW cyber addicted daff crazed friends. I now need to sift and sort through bulbs from numerous sources and get things inspected, listed, tallied, double checked and packed up to send out. There's piles of daffs in the dining room floor, living room floor, bedroom floor and bags of them outside. Hopefully by tonight I will have a lot of them boxed and ready to be mailed Tues (no mail tomorrow, is there?).

Anywho, I'm first going to update my HAVE list, with the date or what I'm adding now...so don't forget to check it every so often and email me with any SPECIAL REQUESTS. Please don't post anything here as I could easily miss it, and I am saving the emails of Spec Req.

Happy Sunday everyone. The sun is so pretty here, for a change.

Oh...Thanks agirlsgirl for posting the clickable links and who all doesn't mind being emailed for Special Requests. You are a sweetie!

Sue

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Diana, Yes overwintering tomatoes and from what the information says, it works very well. I've put a link below to take a look at it if you'd like. But what a great way to get a jump on growing your plants. After all Tomatoes are tender perennials. I'm excited about being able to keep hybrids going cause there are some nice ones that produce great tomatoes. But I won't grow them if I can't save them somehow from one year to the next.

I guess it intrigues me lol. Cause I'm a tomatoaholic!!!!

Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: Over Winter Tomatoes

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Dirtdiggin

Thank You for your kind words and advice. I just hope I can find something that somebody likes. If ANYBODY wants hollyhocks, please let me know, cause I've got 'em!! Also, I think I'll have some catalpa seeds in a day or so if anybody would like those.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Perennialfan,
    I would love to have some of your Catalpa Seeds,I loved this tree as a child.I will look up how to grow them.
    Thank you for your kind offer.
    cAROL

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I have a variegated leaf sedum,this is the first year i even thought of harvesting seeds from,i cut the stems nice and long,and have them hanging,upside down,in the kitchen,how long will it take for them to dry,and am i even doing this the right way?

You guys should see my house right now,it looks like i am a professional grower of botanicals,how i wish i had a small house,just one room, all to myself,for seed starting,and seed drying,don't you.
    Wouldn't it be fun to see how each of us does all this??or not,,??
    Off to check the clickable again
    cAROL

• ruthz
    14 years ago

I just printed out all the names from the 'Links to Want List'.
    I've started going thru the lists and writing seeds I have beside names on the list.
    Will there be a cutoff date for updating want lists?

• conniesc
    14 years ago

Before I offer these up for sase in the seed exchange I wanted to see if anyone was interested in these. I have tons of

4 o'clock limelight
    4 o'clock red glow

let me know if you want any.
    They are one of my favorites here in zone 5

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

OH YAY!!! Tomato plants made it through the first freeze!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO I still have time for ripening!!!!!! LOL I will get pics of my plastic covered HUGE garden lol. It's so funny. DH said, "Looks like we were trying for a huge spider web affect for Halloween" lol. Or maybe just the sound it makes in the wind.

Told ya I'm a tomatoaholic lol however I'm covering winter squash too so it's not just tomatoes.

perennialfan273 - You are more than welcome. We are all here to be kind to one another and I sure hope you know that this swap is no different. I know I don't need 250 more types of seeds, but I'm more than happy to send in for those who are looking for something I have. Of course I love going through the packs of goodies lol...it's so fun to see all those different little packs. And the time and trouble folks go through to send you special items for your requests is just another bonus. You know it puts that "it's not the gift but the thought that counts" right into perspective for me.

Toni

• kilngod
    14 years ago

Ruthz, Patty or Angie will reply formally about update cutoff, but I can generally advise this:

After Angela posts the compiled Everyone's Want list, I copy that onto my computer. Although she keeps it updated as folks add things (and this is a bigger job this year), I won't look at it again until I get all the other things packed up. This means I'll look again shortly before I send the seeds in (which this year will be well before the Nov 25 send deadline), and add things if I have them still.

If anyone waits until Nov 20th, 15th, or even Nov 2nd to make want list additions, there will be some (several or many) people who have already sent their seeds in. That is why the primary update is now (yesterday; if adding now, post to Angela here (before tomorrow eve is best, but later is fine) so she add it to her master want list) -- other additions are at your own risk overall. Many traders, even possibly most, will check back on the lists before sending, but they are not under any obligation to.

(Patty & Angie, I hope that was okay!)

***Angela....I added a few things to my list today. Please add to your Master List; and thank you a million zillion for making that. It is sooooooo helpful.***

(I actually BOLD all of the seeds that I definitely have for everyone, Itallic anything I think I might have enough to send, then I move the listings to the right after I've got those packed up. It makes packing hundreds of packs more efficient and organized!)

--Tina

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Carol, you should see my dining room table !! Seeds everywhere !! And since we are in the livingroom watching the football game the seeds have " drifted " in here as I go thru my shoeboxes and start matching the seeds to the want lists ...
    Perennialfan, when my grandparents were alive they had a catalpa tree in their yard ... every spring the catalpa worms showed up in the tree and all their neighbors who were going fishing would come by and grab a few ... apparently the Tennessee catfish loved them . My grandparents were my gardener gurus ... they both gardened their entire lives even into their 80s !

~Iris

• ollierose
    14 years ago

You're right Tina, Angie will be posting the deadline for updating want lists sometime today.

My list is not ready now. I've discovered quite a few things online that I'm interested in, so I've taken my list down until I can get it updated today.

I wasn't even planning to update my want list, but I got so frustrated after trying with no success to dig holes for about a dozen shrubs. There are so many rocks in the ground that just won't budge. That's in large part due to the fact that my fiance had someone do some grading in that area last fall and he let him fill in my new shrub garden with all the rock and other junk. Grrr! It wouldn't be so bad if he'd at least help me dig the darn holes!

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all to all if your want list is not updated please make a note of that on top and if it is make a note also with the date
    Ruth I have my list done but I keep adding things
    so what I have been doing is when I add something new I put it at the top so the new editions are at the top so people can quickly see anything I add I was thinking of adding some (you're not gonna believe this)marigolds I was organizing my seed stash and throwing older seeds out I had tons of marigolds but they needed to be pitched so I am gonna look them up and put some named ones down I have some newer ones from trades so if you have marigolds check the top of my list later.
    Ruthz any easy way to get it started is get rid of anything you don't want then you can add to it when you have time.The sooner you update the better.Make a note that you are not updated yet so people will come back to your list
    Patty

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

CONNIE,

I think that I have have 4 o'clock limelight on my wish list. I would love some to try.

Lisa

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Please email me if you would like:

Japanese Iris (no ID)
    Siberian Iris (Ceasears Brother)
    Milkweed (soulmate)
    Victoria Rhubarb
    Nigella (Persian Jewels)
    Agapanthus (only afew)
    Foxtail Lily (only a few)
    Datura Metel --Belle Blanche
    Arkansas Amsonia
    Pam's Choice Foxtail
    Daylily, Mary Todd
    Soimethingh from my list....

:)
    Doris

• dorisl
    14 years ago

ask if you want a bunch of mixed-up NOID hostas.

D

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

I will be collecting seeds for the next several weeks and will add seeds to my tradelist as I collect them. If you see seeds you want that are on my list just email me and I will set them aside for you.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I will be collecting seed and adding it to my have list aslo.
    Please watch to see what i have,I will add it to the very top of my have list.
    cAROL

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I am having fun going through the lists!
    Patty-I would love to try the viburnum.
    Carol- I would love the red glow four o'clocks.
    Doris-I would love the victoria rhubarb.
    Thanks, Melinda

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Hi All! I have a huge pot of veggie stew on the stove,so I must make this quick! :)

I asked Patty if we could have a couple more days to update our WANT lists. She agreed so we now have until Tuesday midnight to have our want lists updated. Thank you Patty! :)

Please be sure to add all updates to the top of your list with the date,this makes it easier on all of those that have been through them once or twice! ;)

Also I for some reason did not have bhnash on the list for those that do not mind emails...I am so sorry Heidi! Ugh! That list kills me...lol...so I will post the updated version of that list here!

I hope everyone is having a great night! Off to munch some stew! :)
    ~Angie

UPDATE:List of Players That Do Not Mind Requests From Their Lists: ~pattygrow5 ~just1morehosta ~vikingkirken ~austinnhanasmom ~jaynine ~conniesc ~chemocurl ~sandysgardens ~morguegirl ~gmom2\-6boys ~tammyinwv ~slo\_garden ~dirtdiggin ~stage\_rat ~proudgm\_03 ~paulan70 ~suecirish ~jas\_il ~alwaysagarden ~lisam627\_ohio\_z6 ~bhnash ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hi All!

I'm packing seeds!!

I noticed that Ollierose doesn't have a seed wants list on the clickable link??? where did it go?? lol I'll have to skip her and go back later..

Lisa

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I am having fun also,so many this year.

Melinda,There may be another Carol here,I don't know,but if you were referring to me,cAROL,for the Red Glow 4 o.clocks,it is not me, sorry.
    Will the real Carol please stand up,:0)Melinda wishes some seed from you.
    cAROL

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all Doris I sent you an e-mail I'd like to try a few of your seeds
    Melinda I'll send the virburnum for you
    Diana took her list off to revamp it
    Patty

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Sorry Patty :(, I scanned the posts and thought it was a typo on Ollies part. I didn't read on to her next sentence....shame shame on me!

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I've over halfway through the list. Wow! This is exciting!

Angie I updated my list with a few things. Thanks for putting up the clickable list. It makes it much easier.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

I am LOVING the clickable list!!!
    thanks so much for doing that, it's soo much easier!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

hugs,
    Wendy

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Hello fellow swappers!

Out of curiosity, I was wondering what you guys are all doing this week (other than packing seeds for the swap of course lol)?? We have a local "pick your own" apple farm not far from us, and I plan on going there this week. However, the reason I'm going there isn't because of the apples...it's because of their donuts!! They have the most DELICIOUS apple cider donuts you've ever tasted! They make them fresh every day and they're so soft and warm they practically melt in your mouth (I'm making myself hungry just talking about them lol)!! Other than that, not much else is going on. Not a lot of exciting stuff happens in Illinois. Just fields and fields of corn (but we also have corn mazes, which are pretty popular this time of year. There's one place where a bunch of people get dressed up and go and sneak up on you while you're going through the maze. One year they had someone who looked like the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre (with the chainsaw! but it wasn't running don't worry) Lots of fun around Halloween) lol.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh that sounds like a whole lotta fun perennialfan. Those donuts sound delicious!!! Gotta love harvest foods lol.

Enjoy :)

Toni

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

I was almost done with the Compiled Want List for All Players. I'll happily wait until Tuesday night, no problem. I just need to know if someone has updated anytime from today through Tuesday to make it easier for me. I don't want to have to start all over is all. Is there anyway that those that are still updating could either email me personally or post to the thread to let me know when they've updated theirs?

Also, thanks for letting me know that others appreciate the compiled list as well. You guys are the best! This year I plan on putting it up on a webpage with a link rather than giving a notepad file that you have to download. I hope that it helps several players. I'd do it anyways just for my own use, but wanted to let others have access if it's easier for them, too.

By the way, I wasn't trying to rush anyone on updating their list. I'll happily update it even after Tuesday. I just don't want to start completely over. Redoing several still isn't as much as updating every single want list, you know?

Blessings,
    Angela

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Perennialfan, are you talking about Ekhards(sp?)? We used to have a small one nearby but they closed it down. I really miss it. We used to go get strawberries and apples every year.

Just a reminder if you want something from my list email me. I just don't have time to read all the posts as much as I would like to.

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Oh so sorry about that Carol! I meant Connie for the red glow four o'clocks!
    The talk of those warm apple donuts sounds so yummy!!
    Have a good day all! Melinda

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I put my list back up last night, but I'm still updating. I'll put updates at the top with the date on it to make it easy for everyone. I'll post here once I'm done with my updates.

Thanks,
    Diana

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Hi angie!

howareya?

mee tooo on the ok to email list!

d

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

pereenialfan,hey,I just noticed from your comment,YOU ARE IN ILLINOIS,so am I!!!!!!
    Did you go to Edwards Apple Orchard? They have the Bestiest,Yummiest,Apple Cider Donuts in the world.We always went there when the children were small,i was just thinking of that a day or two ago,how i wish i had one right now,hey, are you over on the hosta forum also,do you work at the Golf Course,I think we may have talked?
    How exciting.
    cAROL

• ollierose
    14 years ago

bhnash - I sent you an email through GW since your email address doesn't show. Will you please email me if you don't receive the email so I can get in touch with you?

Thanks!
    Diana
    ollierose - #5

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

I have these seeds up for grabs, they are mostly from 06 but have been kept in a controlled enviroment. I don't think I can get the hubby to split packs with me so probably only one offer of each. Please just post here and I'll put your name on the packets.

mizuna
    tomato stupice
    lettuce mascara
    lettuce summertime
    tomato celebrity
    mustard southern curled
    lettuce crisp mint
    lettuce green oakleaf tango
    cress wrinkled crinkled
    lettuce nevada
    radish sparkler
    kandy korn
    brussels sprouts long island improved
    lettuce vivian
    pepper carnival mix
    tomato sweet chelsea
    beans pencil pod wax bush
    cucumber marketmore
    dill bouquet

Lisa

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Lisa, I would love to have the following:

Lettuce, Mascara
    Lettuce, Nevada
    Lettuce, Green Oakleaf Tango

Thank you,
    Bonnie

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

If anyone wants anything from my haves list ,it is OK to email me. Was out this morn collecting seeds, sure is damp and cold in Ohio,think we went from summer to winter!

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I'm wondering about Angela's "running list" that she's going to provide for everyone. Some people have botanical names and others have common names on their lists. Do you all run a search for both the botanical and common name when searching? I can imagine that not doing that would result in missing some items that actually are on peoples want lists. What if there are spelling errors?

LOL, or am I over thinking this too much!?!?!

Diana

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Lisa -

I'd like the Celebrity and Stupice tomatoes please.
    Thanks so much

~ Tracy
    joy_unspeakable

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone!

Mmmm, apple cider doghnuts. I've only had those once, and we ate the whole bag within 15 minutes of leaving the orchard. They're scrumptious!

Ollierose, I try to know the botanical names for the plants I grow, (or at least list them with it) so I only look up botanical names that seem really familiar, because those may be seeds I can send in and I'm just not making the right mental connection. If I don't recognize it at all, it's not something I can send in. If you want to look things up, the fastest way I've found is 1. have the google toolbar 2. type the Latin and the word plantfiles 3. read all about it. That's also my first step in deciding if I want a plant, but I always look them up on a few sites, because they all have inaccuracies sometimes.

I like to increase my chances for trades by making it easy for the trader to know that I have what they want, or they have what I want, by using both common names and latin. Except I'm sure I've neglected to do that completely :)

It's another cold, grey day, and I have so much garden cleanup to do, still perennials to get in the ground, plus a couple hundred bulbs--but all I want to do is sit in front of the woodstove with my tiny kitten!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

Diana - Just so you know, I pull the list EXACTLY the way it is on their page, not changing anything, even spelling. I can't speak for everyone here, but when I do a search, I sometimes only put part of the name to see if I get more results and I'll look up the botanical name as well and search for it (especially if I have more of that seed type to share). I'll end up getting all the general requests that don't have a specific kind attached to it. For instance, if I'm looking up Hollyhock, I won't put the color in there or the special variety I have or whatever. I'll just put Hollyhock. Then I manually select next until I find the ones that have requests like the seed type I have. That way I don't miss any entries for Hollyhock. I'll even get those that say No Hollyhocks. If I'm trying to give some Passionfruit, I'll do a search for Passionfruit, plain "Passion" in case they have it listed as Passion Vine or Fruit, and Passiflora. That was a very helpful question. It might help people think of more ways to search the list, so thanks for bringing it up!

Blessings,
    Angela

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I see we have some tomato people here. I need some advice for tomotoes. I want a meaty one, low acid, good slicing one. Any recommendations?

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses stagerat and angelady!

By the way, my want list and have list is up to date - no more changes for me! Wooohooo!!

Diana

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

proudgm_03 - Some of my favorites are...

Caspian Pink
    Mortgage Lifter
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Brandywine
    Oh and Black Crimson

All beautiful big meaty tomatoes with wonderful flavor. Even though I'm a tomatoaholic, I've never understood the acid explained...they are either sweet or tart...I suppose the acid is the more tart types? The above ones are not tart.

Toni

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

proudgm_03

I don't understand the tomato flavor ratings. I was thinking acidic means "classic" tomato flavor - tart and then there's sweet; as well as the smokiness of the black/purple varieties.

I seem to like a tomato with a sweeter flavor that has hints of the tart; as well as complexities of the black tomatoes. I have grown wonderful tomatoes only once (2009) but my favorite slicers from this year:

Giant Belgium (pink)
    Earl's Faux (red-pink)
    Paul Robeson (black) (made me say WOW with a mouth full - and keep an extra close eye when my assistant was near the plant)
    JD's Special C-Tex (multi colored in my garden)

I haven't (yet) grown the ones Toni listed.
    Wish I lived near her - we could have AMAZING tastings!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh wouldn't that be fun?!! Get all of us tomatoaholics together to bring our favorites and have a big tasting party lol.

Toni

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will be starting a new thread since this post brings it to the maximum.
    Wow those doughnuts sound great!
    Hey tomatoaholics maybe you can tell me what the tomatos I grew I got them from the swap last year they were shaped like peppers?
    Patty