SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Can this pot be saved????

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This is what was left of the Agave salmiana, (or a close relative), after the hail storm ...

I thought maybe if I trimmed off the bad pieces the plant could be saved. One cut led to another and I ended up with this. Yes, you may laugh ...

Then I realized the pot was in danger of being broken by any future expansion of the agave base. So decided to try to remove the plant.

Ladies, wanna' build up your muscles? Try this: saw off the sides of the agave trunk so the soil could be exposed.

The bucket was almost filled with the pieces that were cut away ...

The hose end sprayer was set on 'jet' and blasted away at the soil. I dug out what I could with hands and a trowel, but it was slow going. Maybe the center needs to be cut out for better access. The folding saw does the job ...

More jet spraying, digging, prying and pulling stuff our from under the rim of the pot -- almost there ...

VOILA!!! After years of frustration the pups are released at last, but destined for the recycle bin ...

Whew -- all cleaned and ready for another 20 years of service -- YAY!!!!

Now, the question is: what to plant in it?????

Any and all ideas are welcomed. Just not an agave ... :-)

P.S. Wear glasses and gloves when cutting into an agave, and take a shower right after. The sap on many species is toxic. Even the fumes and small invisible droplets rising from sawing a leaf can cause the skin on the face and arms to be irritated. Wash the gloves and the tools before using again.

Mara, this agave came from you through Patty before I started going to swaps. Thank you. I enjoyed it and the pups it produced before going into this pot and have passed many of them around.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!