SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rembetika

Can a young pot-bound tree with circling roots be saved?

rembetika
10 years ago

OK.. so we just purchased a Shumard Oak, about 8 ft tall that was pretty badly root-bound. I read up on this and cut through the roots, soaked the rootball & worked hard to loosen everything up. It looked better except for one main really tough root (thicker than width of a pencil)- that is going in a circle, towards the bottom of the rootball. This one can't be loosed up, and I can't seem to even get to it, in order to cut it. I'm just seeing the edges of it.
My question is-- Is this one circling root, if it's 'underneath' the tree, going to grow into a huge problem as (or, if-) the tree progresses..? Is it worth going through all this trouble to save the tree? The obvious answer is, take it back. But I feel bad that it didn't even have a chance. :( However the spot in the front yard where a tree needs to go, is a very crucial one- largely for shade purposes. I feel we only have one shot to get it right, and I don't want to plant a tree that's going to have long-term problems, a shortened life span, &/or that will have delayed growth by a year or more, as it's trying to recover from the shock of having its rootball hacked into. We talked to some people at the store, and of course they all say 'Oh it'll be fine.' But then everything I'm reading is telling me that if a tree is root-bound or has major circling roots, it's a dud and will be a complete failure.. so take it back.
We may just plant it in the woods behind the house, just to give it a chance- who knows, it may do fine back there.

Any thoughts? suggestions? Are we dumb for even trying..?
(Go easy on me, this is our first tree purchase, ever. And obviously.. from now on, we will make sure to make such important purchases from more reputable nurseries- and will call ahead of time to make SURE we can inspect the rootball, out of its pot.)

Comments (9)