SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Root Pruning To Save An Established Tree

arktrees
14 years ago

I unfortunately have to root prune an already established tree. We bought a Fire Dragon Shantung Maple two years ago and planted it within two days. First summer it behaved as expected and grew about what I expected for the first year. This summer I noticed some oddities in growth, and caliper increase was not as you would expect, and seemed to be restricted on one side. So I went to brushing back the topsoil a few days ago, and sadly there are a number of crossing/circling roots immediately around the trunk just below the soil line (did not dig deeper but will when I prune). The seedling upon which the Fire Dragon was grafted, apparently was left in those 4"X4" tree tubes too long. I had checked the rootball when planted, and made some precautionary cuts when planted from the larger container, but could not see into the center where the seedling has been originally grown. This I now know is a problem.

So now I must prune away as many of these problem roots as I can, to attempt to save a uncommon tree. My current plan is to prune away the smaller roots as close to the trunk as possible, along with choosing what appears to be the most viable root (preferable the larger roots) where crossing, along with removing at least one circling root. The part I'm not as sure about is when the best time to do so. We are well past peak heat stress of summer moving into early fall. If I prune now, then the tree will have a longer time to regenerate roots before summer. However if I wait till leaf drop, then there will be even less water stress, along with more nutrient stores for regrowth. I have also considered pruning the worst now, and then pruning more after leaf fall, or next spring. I just not sure as sure of my judgment on this as I would like.

I'm hoping some of you that have professional experience can provide constructive criticism, as experience can't be replaced. There certainly risk to the tree doing so, however I believe the risk is much greater to do nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Arktrees

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville