SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

Trying to pick what board foam to use...

dgeist
8 years ago

I'm in the beginning stages of my basement remodel and am trying to settle on type of foam board to use on the walls. Generally, I'll be adhering the boards to the painted block wall and sealing floor and ceiling seams with foam and side seams with a foam bead and urethane tape. I will be putting a traditional 2x4 wall in front of this and finishing with 1/2" gypsum and I may fill the cavity with rock wool for a little extra sound deadening and additional R value.

I want to use XPS (EPS is a little brittle and lower R and ISO can absorb water) but can't decide on the thickness. I'm in climate zone 3 and the basement is nearly 100% surrounded at 5'+ by soil, so thermal mass is a big helper. Also, although I'm dealing with some water issues, all of them are up through the slab, not in through the wall, so active leaks where the foam will be going.

I would love to have tonge/groove non-scored 2" sheets, but their pricey and there are one or two spots where that extra inch might mean the difference between being able to frame a door or nor. Should I settle for 1"? Although I don't mind square joints, all the 1" varieties I can find appear to be "scored" which would seem to negatively impact performance if you're not going to be breaking it apart.

How much difference is 1" of XPS vs 2" and how much do you all think the scoring would really affect its performance?

Dan

Comments (6)