SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbrad_plantnut101

winter wind and weeping and mushroom-shaped conifers

Hi all - been a while since my last post. Thanks for all the info over the years. I have a NW facing home in suburban Chicago and the front is open to the prevailing winter wind. I have 2 Norway spruces (Picea abies), 2 Colorado blue spruces (Picea pungens), a Pinus flexilis 'vanderwolf's pyramid' and a White Spruce (Picea glauca) all doing very well. I love these trees but for some visual interest along this real long privacy border (about 175 feet). This is the main entrance to the neighborhood and in a cul de sac. So the lot is long and curved. I am planting these trees along my property to reduce noise of traffic, reduce Western wind, and produce privacy. Realize most of these trees are between 20 and 30 feet apart, so the idea is once these 3-6 footers start filling in i will start mixing deciduous trees and shrubs with them. I will post pics soon, the new growth is starting to flush out.

I would like to get either weeping forms or conifers that are shaped like a mushroom to have something different than a pyramid or triangle-shaped tree. I'd like to get a weeping form of Alaska cypress (Xanthocyparis nootkatensis) or something shaped like Pinus densiflora ‘Umbraculifera’. Any thoughts? So far I have been real lucky with small 2-5 gallon potted conifers and wide mulch rings, no soil amendments (thanks Ken) with minimal to zero winter browning. What is everyone's experience with weeping conifers in exposed areas. Obviously staking will be needed, does the wind ruin their shape?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County