SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
escrayzee

temporarily storing conifers over the winter, yay or nay?

escrayzee
12 years ago

Hi,

At one of the local nurseries here, there are some conifers that I'm interested in, that are currently being offered with some attractive discounts, but the locations that I would like to plant in my yard aren't ready (i.e. bed shapes and sizes aren't completely figured out yet). My question is, would there be any harm in buying them now and planting them temporarily in a sheltered location in my yard, and them move them in the spring to exactly where I want them to be?

I'm live in Toronto which is a USDA zone 5 (Canadian zone 6) and what I would like to pick-up are:

- Juniperus Sabina 'Calgary Carpet' (apparently hardy to USDA zone 3).

- Thuja Occidentalis 'Yellow Ribbon' (apparently hardy to USDA zone 3).

Also, could somebody tell me if there are any conical spruce-like-looking conifers that will have "max" spread (at base) of approx 6 feet in diameter? Height isn't an issue. Most that I've seen and read about get MASSIVE over time. I understand that they can be pruned to keep them in check but I'm concerned that once the tree gets to a certain height, pruning the upper part of the tree would be an issue. If only near the base gets pruned, then I find it starts to look unnatural. I hate the "clipped" look. I'm at a loss.

Comments (12)