SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Strict Weeping'

in ny zone5
12 years ago

Could you please give me some advice on cold hardiness of this plant. I bought a 7ft tree at half price, could not resist. It probably came from Iselis, because the nursery I usually buy from orders from there. It is a holdover from last year and is in great health. The conifer base of the ACS states hardiness as zone 5, and my area is 5 or 5a. But last year in my neighborhood the winter must have been colder, my Abies koreana 'CIS' died under 2 ft of snow, Forsythias only had flowers on the lower branches covered by snow, we had a lot of snow.

I love these Nootka Alaska Cypresses, had bad luck with 'Van den Akker' though , which is still recuperating from last year, but is alive. My nursery could not order any new 'Van den Akker'. Can I say that since 'Van den Akker' survived last winter, 'Strict Weeping' will also survive a stricter winter?

I thought to replace a very bad looking 12ft Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket' with the C.n.'Strict Weeping' on the south west corner of my house, but would put a burlap cloth frame around it for a few winters until it is established. But then I could place it on the corner of my deck facing west, climate might be better there, less wind velocity.

Thanks for any help!

Bernd

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider